This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten & Egg Free Meatloaf

AmyTopolski

AmyTopolski Apprentice

Hi,

My daughter loves meatloaf and on such a strict diet and being picky I love to make her special meals that she will actually eat. Since diagnosted with an egg allergy I have not found a way to make meatloaf. Maybe I'm jsut missing something simple. Any suggestions would be a blessing!

Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

I was diagnosed with egg allergy (ELISA IgG antibodies) in August. Since then I have learned many egg substitutes, including Ener-G Food's Egg Replacement. However my FAVORITE egg replacement (for one egg) is: Combine 1 tablespoon of flax meal (or ground flax seeds) in 1/4 cup very hot water. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. I used that substitute for pancakes and cooky dough so far, with great results. The flaxmeal creates a gooey, eggy, fatty feel, just like real eggs in recipes.

BURDEE

AmyTopolski Apprentice
However my FAVORITE egg replacement (for one egg) is: Combine 1 tablespoon of flax meal (or ground flax seeds) in 1/4 cup very hot water.

Thanks for the comment but unfortunately it did not work well for meatloaf.

Amy

burdee Enthusiast
Thanks for the comment but unfortunately it did not work well for meatloaf.

Amy

WOW! That was fast! You already tried it?

BURDEE

AmyTopolski Apprentice
WOW! That was fast! You already tried it?

BURDEE

LOL! I also use flax meal as a substitute in most of my baking. I did attempt meatloaf maybe a month ago and it fell apart using just the flax meal.

Amy

burdee Enthusiast

Did you dissolve the flaxmeal in boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes before adding to the meatloaf? I used that mixture in pancakes which turned out fantastic! I'm surprised that didn't work in meat loaf ... unless you just threw in the dry flaxmeal. I did that once with equally disastrous results. LOL

BURDEE

AmyTopolski Apprentice

I always mix it with water. Meatloaf is the only thing I haven't been able to do well gluten, egg, and lactose free.

Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I've been making meatloaf without eggs for over 10 years. I don't even bother to substitute anything for the eggs and I've never had one fall apart. I used to use the flax meal/water, but then ran out once and discovered it didn't need it. I leave out eggs for meatballs too and they've never fallen apart. I use ground turkey - maybe it works better than beef? I dump in worcestershire sauce, ketchup, seasonings, crispy rice cereal, onions (usually dried, minced) and don't even measure anything. I can't imagine how a meatloaf could fall apart.

jukie Rookie

I sometimes had trouble with meatloaf falling apart even with eggs, so no help here. I just wanted to ask about the crispy rice cereal. I've got some Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice cereal...would that work? I've always used oats and haven't tried making meatloaf since going gluten-free.

Michi8 Contributor
I've been making meatloaf without eggs for over 10 years. I don't even bother to substitute anything for the eggs and I've never had one fall apart. I used to use the flax meal/water, but then ran out once and discovered it didn't need it. I leave out eggs for meatballs too and they've never fallen apart. I use ground turkey - maybe it works better than beef? I dump in worcestershire sauce, ketchup, seasonings, crispy rice cereal, onions (usually dried, minced) and don't even measure anything. I can't imagine how a meatloaf could fall apart.

What brand of worcestershire sauce do you use? I have a Heinz one at home, but it lists soy sauce as an ingredient. Now, the ingredients in brackets beside that listing say: water, salt, hydrolyzed soy protein, corn syrup, caramel. Does that mean it is actually safe to use? There are no other gluten ingredients listed on the label.

Thanks,

Michelle

lonewolf Collaborator
What brand of worcestershire sauce do you use?

I think it's Lea and Perrin's. I'm out, but need to get more for Christmas time "Chex Mix". Probably should have thought to save the bottle or wrapper so I could get the same brand. I don't think mine had soy in it - I'm allergic to soy. I'll be so bummed if they've changed the recipe.

Michi8 Contributor
I think it's Lea and Perrin's. I'm out, but need to get more for Christmas time "Chex Mix". Probably should have thought to save the bottle or wrapper so I could get the same brand. I don't think mine had soy in it - I'm allergic to soy. I'll be so bummed if they've changed the recipe.

I believe that all worcestershire sauces have soy sauce...and so it is a risk for gluten. However, after checking the Lea and Perrin's site, I see that they say it is "suitable for a celiac diet"...but does that means it meets the Codex 200ppm or that it is truly gluten free? They don't say, on their website, that it is soy free though.

Their worcestershire sauce is one of their main products...I doubt they would ever change it.

Michelle

Guhlia Rising Star

I've never used egg in my meatloaf either, even pre-gluten-free. I use beef, worchestershire (Lea & Perrins is gluten free in the US), ketchup, spices, and Betty Crocker Potato Buds. The potato buds and the ketchup keep it stuck together.

eherhold Newbie

The receipe that I have calls for grating one small potato into the meat with the other spices that you prefer. It holds together well.

jerseyangel Proficient

I use Potato Buds in my meatloaf, also. They give it a nice flavor, and hold it together while still keeping it somewhat soft. I usually use an egg, but I have omitted it when I've been out of eggs, and it still works fine.

I make a "paste" out of the potato buds, ketchup, a little water and the spices I'm using. (If I use an egg, I'd add it here, too). Then I mix in the meat. :)

Archived