This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Attack Sent Me To The Er By Ambulance Today!

Electra

DElizabethE Apprentice
Well I ate Ritz Crackers again trying to get a reaction because I had my nerve test scheduled today and I NEVER got to have the test. I had to call the ambulance from the dr's office parking lot because I thought I was dying. The pain in the upper part of my stomach was so unreal that I could barely breath! I was transported by ambulance to the hospital.

Directly before the attack started I went to the bathroom and it was (as usual) extremely soft. Then the stomach pain begun and I still can feel like twitching and muscle movement down my vaginal cavity and my colan!!

Anyone else ever have "SEVERE" abdominal pain with Celiac?

Hi,

Having severe abdominal pain is the only reason I got tested in the first place. It started back in Feb. 2006...having pain maybe a couple of hours at a time every other week. By the time I went to the Dr. in June the pain was every day lasting 5 or 6 hours and was always in the same exact spot...lower right. I didn't go sooner because my Dad was sick and I couldn't worry about myself at that time. I was finally diagnosed 2 months ago with Celiac Disease after a few ER visits, cat scans, ultrasounds, a colonoscopy, laparoscopy, barium xray and finally blood work and an endoscopy. So I've been gluten free for 2 months and still have the pain. I can tell it's slowly getting better because it doesn't go on everyday. I do take vicodin when it starts which I can't wait until the day I no longer need it. My last ER visit was in Nov. and even an IV of demerol didn't help so they had to give me another one. During my laparoscopy I was told my intestines were in spasms and they never saw anything like that, so at least when I do go to the ER I can tell them exactly what is wrong.

Staying gluten free is not difficult for me right now because the pain keeps reminding me how awful it was all those months. Just wish I was pain free at this moment. Thank goodness for this message board because I know I'm not alone.

Diane

• 11 years later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Garrys Newbie

I just got back from my 4th er visit in 4 months.  Abdominal pain for me is daily, same for vertigo, weakness, headaches ect.  (What I call a small ciliac crash).  My problem is that about once a month I start a vomiting fit that will not quit until I go directly to the emergency room and get hooked up to an IV of saline and they have to push morphine through my Iv.  It takes about 10 straight hours on an IV drip and morphine every 4 hours to reset my intestine.   Absolutely nothing can stop me from vomiting once I start I just keep vomiting until I finally vomit blood.  Unfortunately they caught my celiac disease at 46 and I know I've suffered with it most of my life so the damage is pretty much done for me.  I've been completely gluten-free for 8 months now, make every bit of my own food and I am hyper Vigilant on being around, touching or consuming anything that I'm not sure what it is.  I still get Celiac collapses without ingesting any Celiac at all.  My collapses force me into a catatonic type state I'm unresponsive I can hear people but I can't really talk back I cannot barely move on my own I have to have assistants it's horrible.  I'm really struggling to figure out what I can do to stop the trips to the ER almost to the point of having my own IV set up here at home but I'm still suffering and I don't know what to do either.

kareng Grand Master
6 minutes ago, Garrys said:

I just got back from my 4th er visit in 4 months.  Abdominal pain for me is daily, same for vertigo, weakness, headaches ect.  (What I call a small ciliac crash).  My problem is that about once a month I start a vomiting fit that will not quit until I go directly to the emergency room and get hooked up to an IV of saline and they have to push morphine through my Iv.  It takes about 10 straight hours on an IV drip and morphine every 4 hours to reset my intestine.   Absolutely nothing can stop me from vomiting once I start I just keep vomiting until I finally vomit blood.  Unfortunately they caught my celiac disease at 46 and I know I've suffered with it most of my life so the damage is pretty much done for me.  I've been completely gluten-free for 8 months now, make every bit of my own food and I am hyper Vigilant on being around, touching or consuming anything that I'm not sure what it is.  I still get Celiac collapses without ingesting any Celiac at all.  My collapses force me into a catatonic type state I'm unresponsive I can hear people but I can't really talk back I cannot barely move on my own I have to have assistants it's horrible.  I'm really struggling to figure out what I can do to stop the trips to the ER almost to the point of having my own IV set up here at home but I'm still suffering and I don't know what to do either.

I would get with your doctor or doctors and find out what else is wrong with you.  Not everything can be blamed on Celiac or gluten.  This sounds serious.

Jmg Mentor

Hi Garry and welcome!

This:

3 hours ago, Garrys said:

sounds like Cyclic vomiting syndrome: Open Original Shared Link

You may find the following links helpful:

Open Original Shared Link

but I'm just a layman what do I know? Take Karen's advice, get to your doctor and see if they can help diagnose as the ER guys will only help when the problem is presenting. 

Wishing you the best of luck 

Matt

Posterboy Mentor
5 hours ago, Garrys said:

Garry,

I offer the same caution as Jmg.

2 hours ago, Jmg said:

Take Karen's advice, get to your doctor and see if they can help diagnose as the ER guys will only help when the problem is presenting. 

and this is not medical advice I am too a layman. . . but I wanted to suggest a gallbladder issue if they doctor's haven't ruled it out.

vomiting and intense pain would/could definitely be a symptom of a gall bladder attack.

they would of done a HIDA test if they have checked you for a gall bladder problem.

if it is effecting your liver you might be jaundinced/yellow in color or  have very dark  urine.

usually healthy urine clear or nearly clear with a slight yellow tinge.

again this is not medical advice but I hope they find out what it is by the next attack while you are in the ER and they can figure out what it is before it gets worse.

you might also want to watch this house md episode about celiac disease.

start at/around the 30 minute mark  (if you don't have time to watch it all) they begin to start talking about cause's of vomiting in a celiac patient including gastritis and a low vitamin K levels leading to bloody vomit.

and about the 34:30 minute mark if you skip ahead about  learn how low vitamin k levels can be caused by celiac's not aborbing their nutrients from villous atrophy.

But it sounds like the blood vomit doesn't happen for you first until you have dehydrated yourself and hence the need for the saline IV.

The morphine drip I would assume is for the pain of the gall stone.

you can try drinking a lemon juice/carrot juice blend to see if it helps pass the stone.

I have no idea of any of this would help . . . there are several home remedies for gall stones on the web. . .this is just one of them. 

It certaintly couldn't hurt anything.

here is a livestrong article about this technique.

I hope this is helpful.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

posterboy by the grace of God,

lisas11lisa Apprentice

Celiac Disease is tied to Gallbladder issues..I had 2 attacks..ER never once said anything about my GB..ask ur PCP for a hydascan..I had no gallstones ..but was only functioning at 18%..Dont let it go..get tested.

Patty harrigan Apprentice

I too have extreme vomiting and went to ER last time I was glutened. BtW... the only time I have vomited in the bast 60 years was during pregnancy and he’s 37 years old. I am not a vomiter. I was put on an IV and monitored for blood pressure etc. I am extremely careful and in the 10 yrs since diagnosis I have only been glutened 6 to 8 times. The last few times I had extremely rapid heart beats, vomiting and could not walk, talk and barely respond. I was going in and out of consciousness and shivered as if I was hypothermic even after being wrapped in heating blankets. No pain and it’s over in 3 hrs. I get up, I’m hot and I want to go home. What irks me is that a number of doctors, even my celiac doctor,  have suggested I had food poisoning. THIS IS A GLUTEN REACTION. It has only happened after eating out and my husband eats off my plate. It starts off 2 hrs after eating with a feeling of doom and the desire to lay down on the floor no matter where I am. Three hours later it’s over. You could set your watch! I had terrible joint pain that set in right after my ER visit when the day before I was hiking 7 miles a day....no injury. A suicidal depression that lasted for 6 weeks. I have never been depressed in my 64 years. Six weeks later I’m back to normal other than Joint pain which BTW was the symptom that got me to my diagnosis. The ER docs had no idea and I had to ask them to check for gluten in the meds they were trying to put in my mouth. This is OUTRAGEOUS. Would they ask a diabetic about insulin!? I believe this will eventually kill me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lyfan Contributor

Sounds like WAY more than simply celiac. So much so that I would suggest going to one of the real experts in celiac (Peter Green? in NYC, or the U Chicago medical school, etc.) for a  more comprehensive workup. If someone has been gluten-free for months and not ingested a sudden gluten surprise, that kind of reaction means something else is wrong.

And with the recent research indicating that celiac itself is not the base problem, but rather, there's something else wrong and wheat is simply one of the first ways to trigger a response from it...all the more reason to find someone with national credentials and be sure there isn't something else very wrong.

Celiac has gone from virtually unknown 15 years ago, to a mass market phenomenon. There are probably a number of doctors mis-diagnosing other problems as "celiac".

Archived