Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angst2amity

Anyone Bake With Xylitol?

I am going to a cookie exchange party tomorrow. Right now I can't seem to tolerate gluten, dairy, or any type of sugar. I think Xylitol is the only sweetener that doesn't feed candida. http://www.xylipro.com/faq.html

Has anyone ever baked with it? How did it turn out? I think it may have a laxitive effect. Any recipes? Thanks

Chronic Ear Infections

Chronic Tooth/Jaw Infections

Chronic Sinus Infections

Recent Sinus Surgeries

New Migraines

New Occipital Neuralgia

New SUPER HIGH ANA

New Vitamin D deficiency

New High Calcium - hyperparathyroidism?

Recent Sugar & Wheat Intolerance - Facial Flushing and Headache

Lyme Negative

12/06 Tested (-) for Celiac after 2 - 3 months Gluten Free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well... you'll probably need to go easy on whatever you make because MOST (not all) sugar alcohols can cause gas and diarrhea if eaten in sufficient quantity. What happens is that part of the sugar isn't digestible and it goes to the bacteria in your gut which digest it for you, and that causes gas and possibly other effects.

Erythritol is the one SA that doesn't do this. It is excreted via urine instead of the GI tract.

I don't know if Zylitol has this property but Erythritol has a "cooling effect" in the mouth, kind of like mint, which can be a bit strange in some foods. The best way to use Ery is to combine it with other sweeteners like Splenda and/or Ace K. Also when you combine sweeteners you need less of them, they work synergistically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol

Thinking on this more... if you're going to have people you don't know eating your cookies you might not want to use a sugar alcohol like Xylitol, someone might eat too many of your cookies and will be bloated and smelly and not too happy!

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes it has a cooling response too. Splenda and aspartame are used as food for yeast/candida - so that is out.

I already made regular cookies, I just wanted to make something for me so I wouldn't feel sad - I won't feel sad enough to eat any other cookies though - because my reactions can be violent, tremor, etc.

Looked up erythritol, looks like much less GI problems than xylitol - too bad I only have xylitol. Both are very good for your teeth though!

Thanks

Chronic Ear Infections

Chronic Tooth/Jaw Infections

Chronic Sinus Infections

Recent Sinus Surgeries

New Migraines

New Occipital Neuralgia

New SUPER HIGH ANA

New Vitamin D deficiency

New High Calcium - hyperparathyroidism?

Recent Sugar & Wheat Intolerance - Facial Flushing and Headache

Lyme Negative