Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aprilh

She Is Angry All The Time - And Depressed Maybe

Hi everyone. My daughter who has tested positive through enterolab has been on a gluten free and dairy free diet. I started her full time along with my son and I after she started having this angry, depressed, crying emotional thing going on. Then she improved and started feeling good again.

Then, another birthday party to go to and of course they always serve pizza and cake. I failed the last 2 birthday parties at making a good pizza and she completely felt left out. So for this one I sent an Amy's Rice Crust (but dairy cheese) and let her have a small piece of the gluten filled ice cream cake they were serving.

The very next day she was right back where she was, crying, angry, depressed, slow on her feet, black circles under her eyes. Could this be from the small amount of gluten? She doesn't really ever have much intestinal symptoms. Can being gluten/dairy free sort of make you more sensitive for a while?

She never had these problems when she ate gluten all the time. She had some pain in her joints and a general tiredness. It seems her symptoms have changed. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Being gluten free can make you more sensitive. Her immune system likely had time to recooperate while she was gluten free and now that she ate gluten again, her immune system has kicked into hyperdrive trying to rid itself of the gluten. Her behavoir can absolutely be caused by gluten. If she tested positive, she really needs to remain gluten free for life, no cheating. I have an awesome gluten free/dairy free pizza crust recipe, PM me if you want it. I can also hook you up with a fabulous gluten free cake recipe (not dairy free).

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

If gluten is part of her problem, then yes, any amount of gluten (even a small piece of cake, to a gluten intolerant person, is HUGE! even a few bread crumbs can cause problems!!!!!!!) can be related to changes in behavior. I react to tiny, tiny amounts...so the thought of a whole piece of cake makes me shudder.

If you are putting her on the gluten free diet, then she cannot be eating any gluten, in order to see real benefits. Also, if she is a Celiac (versus non-Celiac gluten intolerance) and she is eating gluten, she is having damage done to her intestines--------EVEN if she has NO gi symptoms.

There are many asymptomatic Celiacs out there---but they still have intestinal damage.

Researchers now believe that the GI symptoms (often referred to as the "classic Celiac symptoms) are actually a small part of the puzzle, and that the vast majority have other symptoms and/or do not have the diarrhea, etc.

If gluten is part of her problem, then yes, any amount of gluten (even a small piece of cake, to a gluten intolerant person, is HUGE! even a few bread crumbs can cause problems!!!!!!!) can be related to changes in behavior. I react to tiny, tiny amounts...so the thought of a whole piece of cake makes me shudder.

If you are putting her on the gluten free diet, then she cannot be eating any gluten, in order to see real benefits. Also, if she is a Celiac (versus non-Celiac gluten intolerance) and she is eating gluten, she is having damage done to her intestines--------EVEN if she has NO gi symptoms.

There are many asymptomatic Celiacs out there---but they still have intestinal damage.

Researchers now believe that the GI symptoms (often referred to as the "classic Celiac symptoms) are actually a small part of the puzzle, and that the vast majority have other symptoms and/or do not have the diarrhea, etc.

I don't understand the difference between celiac and non-celiac gluten intolerance. Does that have to do with intestinal damage?

I don't understand the difference between celiac and non-celiac gluten intolerance. Does that have to do with intestinal damage?

Yes!, by definition celiac disease is villous atrophy of the small bowel...but gluten sensitivity can make you feel just as ill.

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

My daughter, who is gluten and casein free, used to be angry and depressed all of the time. Now she is fine unless she has even a tiny amount of casein or gluten. With casein, she reacts immediately, even if it is just a trace (if the box says "may contain traces of milk"). With gluten, it is a delayed reaction, about 3 days later, and lasts for at least 3 or 4 days.

My main symptoms from gluten intolerance were emotional also and I recently suffered a 2 1/2 weeks depression from cc.

Unfortunately, it seems even a trace will do it. I am too scared to try anything that is made from wheat.

We were both diagnosed by Enterolab and didn't have GI symptoms before so would be considered gluten intolerant "only".

Karen

gluten free 4/06

casein free 7/06

DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free

vegetarian

gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

Hi Aprilh

I am relatively new to the board but wanted to add to this - we believe our son to be either celiac or gluten intolerant (his bloods were negative but has had huge dietary response). I just wanted to add that as we grapple with this diet (we are trying to ensure 100% gluten /diary / casein free) we have had accidents that have seen our son spiralling back into the depressed, emotionally fickle, extremely angry little boy we have been dealing with for four years now. While we have been getting it right, he has been like a new child.... the happy little boy that I knew was 'in there' somewhere... he is smiling now... he is not as hyper... not as cross... finds it easier to socially interact with his peers at school... is better towards his little sister... and is spontaneously saying i love you mammy because he feels so good... we had never really seen him so happy... but like i said, the few times that we have had accidents, it sends us right back to what I can only describe as 'hell' for both our son and us... I dread him going off this diet and hope he never does. From what I have seen myself with my own eyes, and from everything that I have learned from the experienced moms on this board, even a tiny scrap of gluten can send people / children backwards causing them much distress and pain and even intestinal damage. it is tough sticking to the diet, but absolutely worth it to see a smile on your childs face..

Best of luck...

Liz (ireland)