Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maddycat

When To Test Children/babies For Celiac?

I don't know for sure. This is just a thought. And because I'm pregnant myself, I thought about this a lot the last few weeks. When we breastfeed our kids, they are supposed to get all the vitamins and nutrients from us, too, right? Well, gluten is a protein and if we wouldn't consume protein in one form or another (can be animal protein, too) we could not survive. So now I thought, when the babies get thier proteins through the breast milk, they might "suffer" from the gluten a mother eats??? I might be wrong, I don't know, just my two cents :ph34r:

Hugs, Stef

My 10 year old daughter was tested at 8 for both the antibodies and the genes for celiac. She was negative for the genes, but positive for the antibodies. Her pediatrician, who seems to be very knowledgeable (her son is celiac), suggested that since my daughter has had stomach problems since infancy, it is possible that I passed on gluten in my breast milk, and that she became sensitive to it very early on. So it definitely seems to be an important consideration.. but I know that still hasn't been proven, right?

Sheryll