Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steveindenver

For The Love Of Brownies!

OMG - I tried one of my old gluten favorite recipes today substituting Bette Hagman's Featherlight Flour mix 1:1 for regular flour and I'm in HEAVEN!!!! And come on, with four sticks of butter between the frosting and batter, you KNOW it's gotta be good.

These are more cake like then chewy, thick fudgy brownies. But they are good.

Featherlight Flour Mix

1 c. rice flour

1 c. corn starch

1 c. tapioca starch

1 Tbs. potato FLOUR (not potato starch)

Texas Brownies

For one 17 1/2 x 11 inch baking pan/48 brownies you will need:

2 cups flour (2 cups Featherlight Flour mix)

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

1/2 cup shortening (I didn't have any so I used more butter!)

1 cup strong brewed coffee or water (I've always used coffee for a better flavor)

1/4 cup dark, unsweetened cocoa

1/2 cup buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk, use 1/2 cup milk with 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice added in)

2 eggs, room temp

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp vanilla

Frosting

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

2 Tbsp. dark cocoa

1/4 cup milk

3 1/2 cups unsifted powdered sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

To make the batter:

1) Preheat oven to 400

2) In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar.

3) In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, shortening, coffee (or water) and cocoa. Stir and heat to boiling.

4) Pour boiling mixture over the flour and sugar in the bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla.

5) Mix well, using a wooden spoon or high speed on electric mixer.

6) Pour into a well buttered 17 1/2 by 11 inch jelly roll pan

7) Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until brownies test done in the center.

Frosting - this is the tricky part. The frosting needs to be poured onto the brownies immediately as they come out of the oven, so you have to time this right.

1) In a saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring. (I usually cook this on low to get it combined and as the brownies are winding down in the oven, turn up to boil)

2) When it's boiling, mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla and stir until the frosting is smooth (I've only achieved smooth frosting ONCE in the many times I've made this - it always has a few small lumps of powdered sugar and that's fine).

3) Pour warm frosting over the brownies as soon as you take them out of the oven.

Cool and cut into 48 bars.

Enjoy - write me and let me know if you made these and how they turned out! I am so excited to have this recipe again and to share it with my fellow Celiacs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):