This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Avoid Early On In The Gf Diet

lilliexx

lilliexx Contributor

when i started the diet i noticed improvement right away, but it seems all the symptoms are back in full force this week. i have been extremely careful so i'm thinking it must be something else.

i only tested positive for gluten (not casein or soy) but then again i'm not sure how extensive my tests even were.

since i havn't ate any gluten for two weeks i'm thinking it could be 1 of three things:

coffee (i drink 3-4 cups a day)

dairy (i'm a dairy freak)

eating to big of meals at a time ( i usually get sick after the bigger meals)

i was hoping somebody could give me some advice on how to eat early on in the diet. i dont enjoy plain things at all....i really love rich thick sauces,cheese and spicey food. if i had to cut those out i'm not sure what i would eat.

any suggestions are appreciated.

also: what i have been taking to sooth my stomach are: psyliium seed everyday (i have severe constipation problems) pepto besmol and i just started taking flax seed tablets. any other suggestion for this are also welcome.

thankyou

lillie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator
since i havn't ate any gluten for two weeks i'm thinking it could be 1 of three things:

coffee (i drink 3-4 cups a day)

dairy (i'm a dairy freak)

eating to big of meals at a time ( i usually get sick after the bigger meals)

i was hoping somebody could give me some advice on how to eat early on in the diet. i dont enjoy plain things at all....i really love rich thick sauces,cheese and spicey food. if i had to cut those out i'm not sure what i would eat.

I completely agree with you on the last two possibilites.....I don't know about coffee. If you've only been gluten-free for two weeks, that could be the culprit, regardless of whether you have a casein/lactose/dairy problem or not. I think the last suggestion might be the most likely. Our digestive systems are raw from all the gluten, and we need to be REALLY careful with them in the beginning. Six months in, I am still not digesting things properly. I have symptoms and when I vomit, there are chunks (I apologize for my descriptions) from meals hours ago, which show digestive problems. If you have vomiting, check for chunks of food, as those signify undigested food, I think, and also note how long after your last meal. Definitely, try to spread out your food throughout the day whenever possible so you don't overload your system. This may not be medical, but I think it helps a lot. One more tip, try to stay away from foods that seem harsh on your stomach such as highly acidic foods or rich, thick, spicey things. Those couold be giving you problems. Try to be as natural and careful as you can be and slowly reintroduce the thicker, heavier things as you feel better. Finally, be 100% sure about everything including lotions (if you eat anything with your hands), toothpaste, medicine, etc. Don't lick envelopes (the glue stuff can contain gluten) and be very careful about contamination. Good luck.......I hope this helps and you feel better soon.

-celiac3270

lilliexx Contributor

thanks for the reply. i 'm going to cut back on dairy this week and try to eat smaller meals.

the one thing i havnt really checked is hair care products and makeup. i do know the hair gel i use has wheat in it...but i wash my hands right away after using it. it was really expensive...and i cant really afford to replace these things at the moment. i did make sure my lipstick/facesoap/shampoo were gluten free tho. those seem like they would be the riskiest items.

j9n Contributor

My dietitian told me to stay away from dairy for a minimum of one month. Because we have done so much damage to our intestines they are unable to process lactose until they heal. I know how hard that is since I am a cheese freak!!! I did have a grilled cheese sandwich and my symptoms returned (not too bad though). I am still not ready for dairy, sigh.

I have also cut out the coffee and now drink green tea. It still has the caffeine to get me going in the morning and has health benefits too. I am used to it now.

I do love my spicey food too. I eat alot of mexican style foods now. Carne asada tacos are my favorite. Here in California the "real" mexican restaurants do not put cheese on them. Just the marinated cooked meat, onions, cilantro, hot sauce and limes, yummy!!!!!!!!

I found at first to stay very simple. Things you know don't make you ill. Slowly add things in one at a time. Read all labels including medicines and vitamins.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Did you ask the restaurant if their marinating sauce is gluten-free? A lot of times they contain gluten.....

Also, have you checked all your medications, vitamins, supplements?

Karen

GEF Explorer

Maybe it's the coffee. I was fine with it until I had a colonoscopy (go figure).. now I can barely drink it at all! Coffee can be harsh.

crc0622 Apprentice

Janine,

Do you have any problems with the green tea? I was still having the big D every weekday morning so this week I cut out my usual green tea (lipton w/caff) with honey and the hand full of almonds. No D for two days. I have no problem with dairy and still eat string cheese every morning with no problem.

I'm gonna give it this week and try adding back one thing at a time and see what it is. I just have a feeling it's the tea or honey. Hmmmm . . .

Oh, yeah, I drink coffee just fine, too. A couple of cups every day.

Celeste

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived