• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

cindyf

Gastroperesis

Rate this topic

my friend has been suffering for3 years with gastroperesis and ensuing depression and anxiety. I told her about my recent experience going gluten and dairy free, how good I feel. She says they did a blood test on her in the beginning of her disease and it was negative. I don't know, I think there is a connection. She has cream of wheat for two meals every day. any thought??? cf

in my case yes, it took 2 weeks of absolutely no cheating completely gluten free before my stomach started to operate its churning mechanism again. See my signature and my posts on the eosinophilic disorders thread. Not many forum members here report it, but from some of the symptoms being described I think some others have it.

cheers,

Mike

my friend has been suffering for3 years with gastroperesis and ensuing depression and anxiety. I told her about my recent experience going gluten and dairy free, how good I feel. She says they did a blood test on her in the beginning of her disease and it was negative. I don't know, I think there is a connection. She has cream of wheat for two meals every day. any thought??? cf

Did your friend do a gastric emptying study at the time of diagnosis to confirm it?

I would tell them to go gluten free for a few weeks and see if it helps. I think there really could be a connection. My stomach doesn't work right either when I eat gluten.

My mom was diagnosed w/ gastroperesis about 9 yrs ago. Since I was diagnosed last month, she has about decided that her symptoms are actually from Celiac or celiac disease caused her gastroperesis. She isnt' sure yet. She has only been gluten-free for about a week but she already feels better. She has diabetes and she has lots of leg pain. But those pains have eased up. I think there is a connection at least in her. It is highly possible with this disease. Throughout all my research, I have discovered that celiac disease has so many symptoms that no one knows how they will react if they have it. You can recommend to her that she try the diet for a few weeks to see if it helps, then do a challenge and see what happens.

ptkds

...... Not many forum members here report it, but from some of the symptoms being described I think some others have it.

..Mike

just in case some forum members have this problem without realising it here are my symptoms (although like a lot of these obscure gastro diseases symptoms vary)

1. poor/no appetite

2. underweight

3. bloating after eating

4. food just seems to sit in the stomach without digesting.

5. Just about any food causes this problem, although tough foods such as meat are the worst.

6. simple sugar liquids such as gatorade or coca-cola go down ok (provided the stomach is empty).

7. liquids such as milk or protein drinks do not go down well and cause the above problems.

8. it takes hours and hours to digest a meal, which makes it difficult to eat much. attempting to eat on a bloated stomach will just make things worse.

I have not had an appetite for six years, bloating and underweight. I take Omeprazole daily.

August of 05 I was dx's with Celiac, Gastritis and Large Hiatal Hernia

Many here have been relieved by the gluten free diet, yet I see no improvement. It's pretty frustrating.

omeprazole - PPI, GERD is one of the symptoms of gastroparesis.

my non medical wayof finding out that I had it was to get my hands on the drugs "reglan" and "domperidone", because these fixed my symptoms it more or less confirmed that I had it. In my case gluten-free helps but doesn't cure me, I need these drugs.

I've had many years of unecessary underweight misery without proper diagnosis, some of my story here eos disorder thread

I had been sick for years since i was 7 and am now 32. We always were being tested for anxiety ridiculous.... So i did some research and came across celiac. Its been almost 5 years since going wheat and gluten free. I was still getting sick sometimes by not even being glutened long story short a dr. when i was 25 was on the right track he did gasrtic emptying but never went beyond. So i researched and again and was totally shocked and angered of course no dr.s had realized i aquired gastrperisis along my way of being poisined by wheat and gluten. I just now in the last 4 months have started to put on weight. Wow this is what eating without being sick is like...My best advice research then ask your dr.s I paid all these dr.s all to diagnose myself in the end.. It was funny to see the oops were sorry look from the Dr.s after all the convincing put forth..