Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FeedIndy

What's The Deal With Bacon?

I've heard people say they stay away from bacon, but I have carefully checked the label of every brand that has been on sale and can't find anything with gluten. Am I missing something or just getting lucky? I've bought 2 store brands and Oscar Mayer so far. There doesn't appear to be any gluten ingredients in bacon. Are there some brands that are different?

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

As with any processed food, it completely depends on the brand and ingredients.

There are numerous brands of bacon that are safe....like with ANY food, you just have to read the label. :)

If you have questions about ingredients in yours, feel free to post. But there are many that are safe...I eat it pretty often :D

due to new food labeling laws, all flavorings must list any WHEAT if it is in its source. that would probably be your most likely culprit (wheat, as opposed to rye or barley). if in doubt...call.

Bacon is almost universally gluten-free. There's a regional bacon in California that has soy sauce with wheat and the stuff that McDonalds calls bacon has wheat starch. I don't know of any others that have gluten.

I've also never found smoke flavoring that has gluten, especially when the flavoring really is caused by smoke.

richard

Thanks so much! I use bacon in green beans and she hadn't reacted so far, but I was afraid I was missing something. I'm guessing she would have "told" me if there had been gluten in it. ;)

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007