This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So What Is Every One Eating...?

zachsmom

zachsmom Enthusiast

So my question is this .... my baby food period is running out....

I have been really overly scared and paranoid about accidental glutening... since I have done this so on accident.. But besides health food stores .... where are you guys getting your foods... I have ordered a food chemical book... But I went to Walt Disney this weekend and realized that my son as a toddler and a pre schooler is going to have it rough. I have been told by everyone here ... meats ... veggies fruits ... but where do you get gluten free pies gluten free cakes ... crakers ... cookies... ( not that I am trying to turn my kid into a junkie for crappy food... But I have 2 other kids that are at the start of the year ... are going gluten free,,,,, if the baby has to everyone is going to ... for hopes for a healthier life... But I guess I was hoping to just get gluten free everything... But is that possible... like gluten free bisquick? How do you ask if a resturaunt has gluten free stuff especially ifyour stuff is cooked with gluten foods. .... ? is it possible ... to do this with out gettting all mad and frustrated ...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

where do I get gluten free cakes, cookies, crackers? in my kitchen, because I make them. occasionally Whole Foods. but mostly I make them if I want them, but I don't really have them that often (a few times a year), because there's lot of other healthy food to eat that doesn't take so long to cook. :)

lovegrov Collaborator

I doin't have them that often, either, but I usually make them as well. If you have a Whole Foods nearby their stuff is made in gluten-free facility. Kinnikinnick (order directly online) also makes some good things.

richard

Ann1231 Enthusiast

we don't eat that kind of stuff but I know that most health food stores are carrying gluten-free mixes of all kinds now.

A year or so ago I tried a couple of gluten-free muffin mixes but they were so heavy I could have sided my house with them! I'd rather not have any of it rather than have bricks.

jaten Enthusiast

Gluten Free Pantry makes a WONDERFUL pie crust mix. It's excellent even by gluten-filled standards. If you think about it, many (most?) pie fillings are naturally gluten free....I'm thinking homemade apple, pecan, etc.

For cakes, I've had luck with Namaste and a to die for Chocolate cake made from Pamela's Brownie Mix (cake directions are on the side of the brownie mix bag.....oh my goodness....yum!)

If you do a Google search for "gluten free whatever" you'll get recipes galore, and they're often very easy to make. Also check the recipe section of this Celiac.com site. Many wonderful recipes.

I've been gluten free for a year (diagnosed last Dec.). I thought I'd never be able to do it. You get the hang of it faster than you think possible.

Mary Contrary Rookie

I've always been selective about what I cook for me and the H, so it's not that tough, just elimanating a few more things now...but that leaves tons of things..meat, fish, poultry and veggies...rice, I just adjust whatever I cook, corn strach for gravies and sauces now, it's pretty easy. Not a big pastry eater anyway...I love Van's gluten free waffles..and the Light Brown Rice Bread ENER-G makes, makes a wonderful toasted sandwich..it is a bit hard to eat without frying or toasting though...

I have a box of the Gluten Free Pantry Pizza dough mix, but haven't made it yet....I have high hopes though.

chrissy Collaborator

we bake all the time at home and have had tons of success. we mostly use bette hagman's featherlight mix and just use our old favorite recipes and add xanthan gum. we have muffins for breakfast on a regular basis. i just bought a new cook book over the weekend by roben ryberg---she is the creator of miss roben's mixes. all the recipes in the book use cornstarch and potato starch-----so far i havae made cream cheese brownies and sour cream breakfast muffins. they were both wonderful.

we find various gluten free foods scattered around different area stores and we order from kinnikinnick and the gluten free pantry.

there is a recipe for a gluten free version on bisquick-----i'll try to remember to find it for you. send me a pm if i forget or if someone else doesn't jump in and post it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pinktulip Apprentice

I bought cookies for my dad from Whole Food and he said he actually rechecked the label several times to make sure I wasn't getting the wrong stuff. THey are slightly expensive, maybe a 12 for 3 something, but they were Dark CHocolate Cholate Chunk cookies. My dad has a major sweet tooth, the the first for things I bought him were not that great. They also had the cookies in several other flavors. When I get ahold of the package, or get him more I can get the exact name.

jerseyangel Proficient

Because I'm intolerant to so many of the ingredients they use in prepared gluten-free baked goods, I make everything myself.

I wiil use a couple of Gluten free Pantry mixes--those without my offending ingredients (I have to avoid tapioca)--their pie crust mix, french bread mix and the truffle brownies. Those I only use/make occasionally.

I have a grain free chocolate chip cookie recipe that I tend to make the most.

happygirl Collaborator

very rarely do i shop at health food stores. most of my products are mainstream gluten free products (i.e., normal brands that happen to have something that is gluten free).

i supplement with some tinkyada rice pastas (which I can get at my grocery store). Other than that, I do get "treats" every so often....but I would say that 90% of my foods are "normal" foods.

there are many pre-packaged gluten free mixes that you can use for baking or to use like bisquick.

Jodele Apprentice

I know what you are going through. :blink: I have 3 girls that are pickie eaters. They loved their breads. I had found that Pamela'a Products are great. I just found the Baking & pancake mix is like bisquick. I made corn bread for Thanksgiving form that mix and it was very good and easy. Their bread mix is very good too tasted like whole wheat bread. I look for things that are easy, quick and it has to taste good also. I also love kinnikinnick products. They also have frozen donuts. I use there cake and pancake mixes. Pastas I use Tinkyada, it taste good and have almost the same texture of wheat pastas. I hope this help you out. Most of the time it is trial and error. I don't know where you live but we just moved to New Mexico and they have a health food store there that I fell in love with called Wild Oats. If you have a Health Food store near you and they do not have what you want just talk to the maniger. They will work with you and order almost any thing for you. I have done this a few times in Oklahoma. There is always the online stores too.

Happy shopping.

Jodele

zachsmom Enthusiast

I am asking about the cakes and pies because of CHristmas coming up .. not that we eat like that everyday....

But I do bake cookies and eat birthday cake... he cant even have that and it was so sad on his first birthday...

But Being that I am trying to change my whole family/// we eat noodles ... soups ... breads... I just am trying to become gluten free with out so much ruining the holiday. (By making the baby sick and also being able to enjoy some of the baked goods I look forward to making.)

But I just want to be as educated about this as possible... I thank you guys... and really an thank ful for your knowledge.

I would like to be able to give him some normal things ( but gluten free ) like breads and birthday cake. And let him have the foods we eat( but gluten free) .... that 's all. It breaks the babys heart to watch us eat and want OUR food instead of his. He doenst understand that it is dangerous for him.

lonewolf Collaborator
I am asking about the cakes and pies because of CHristmas coming up .. not that we eat like that everyday....

But I do bake cookies and eat birthday cake... he cant even have that and it was so sad on his first birthday...

But Being that I am trying to change my whole family/// we eat noodles ... soups ... breads... I just am trying to become gluten free with out so much ruining the holiday. (By making the baby sick and also being able to enjoy some of the baked goods I look forward to making.)

But I just want to be as educated about this as possible... I thank you guys... and really an thank ful for your knowledge.

I would like to be able to give him some normal things ( but gluten free ) like breads and birthday cake. And let him have the foods we eat( but gluten free) .... that 's all. It breaks the babys heart to watch us eat and want OUR food instead of his. He doenst understand that it is dangerous for him.

It really isn't that hard to switch to gluten-free. I make gluten-free cakes and pies and have for several years. Lots of people here like the G F Pantry pie crust mix - it's probably easier than from scratch, but I make it from scratch and don't think it's hard. There are several good cake recipes here on this site (go to the "Site Index" and then scroll down to "recipes") and many good mixes (Namaste, G F Pantry). Gluten Free Pantry and Pamela's both make good yeast bread mixes. That's the only thing I haven't been able to make from scratch.

Baking gluten-free cookies is easy. Find a flour mix that you like and just follow a regular recipe. Gluten free pasta is delicious and no one in your family would even know that you made a switch (Tinyada, Trader Joes and several other brands are popular among members here). If you can bake, you can bake gluten-free. I just made Shortbread last night, we had biscuits the night before. We're already planning our gluten-free gingerbread house - been making it for several years.

It really is easier to have a whole gluten-free house, rather than two different menus. The only gluten in my house is sandwich bread for my hubby and one son. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but you'll get it!

Jodele Apprentice

Is the whole family going gluten free? Once you go gluten free it gets easier. We have been gluten-free for 5 mths and It is getting easier now. My kids are young also. I have a 8, 5, and 4 yr. old and they took to the new life style very good. My youngest asked all the time now if it gluten free. My kids know why they are gluten free. Kids dont want to be sick. My middle dd she has a reaction to gluten that is different than the other two. She gets angry, depressed, and have emoitional problems. I could not believe the differnce in her after going gluten-free. She is such a lovely child now. We don't go out to eat very often. I fixed all the kids lunches for school and snacks. I am doing all the cup cakes and cookies for the christmas parties coming up next week for the girls school. My oldest is so happy now that she does not hurt anymore. she has grown 2 inches sence she gone gluten-free. If you need any more info on gluten-free please feel free and post or pm me if you what too.

Jodele

wonkabar Contributor

I'm a big fan of the Gluten Free Pantry mixes. I often use their all purpose flour and make things like Nestle Toll House cookies. They're delicious and no one can tell. I plan on using this for my christmas cookies. I use their brownie mix which is absolutely decadent as well as their chocolate cake mix for cupcakes...I have a 3 1/2 year old and 2 year old so I know the deal!! :lol:

I always make cupcakes from the cake mix, but instead of milk I use Columbo vanilla yogurt which makes them *very* moist. I frost them with Duncan Hines Chocolate and sprinkle non-parrels on them. I've made them for birthdays and desserts at home as well as for other people's houses. I promise you that NO ONE can tell they're gluten free. I haven't tried their pie crust but I've heard it's good, too. Good Luck! :)

happygirl Collaborator

i also like the gluten free pantry mixes, as well as some of the bob's red mill (although some have reacted to it), and pamela's mix for brownies. I think the mixes are a strong start! We have made choc chip cookies, brownies, cookie "bars"....

here is the BEST icing recipe. it is adapted from Wilton (the cake people!). We put it on a lot of our baked goods and it is sooooooo good (add a bit of flavorings...like mint...for the holidays...do different colors, etc...) you can also freeze it (we make it in big batches and then separate it into different containers, so we always have some!)

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1 teaspoon vanilla

4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)

2 tablespoons milk (we use water)

Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

if you are interested in doing any cheesecakes (or things that call for a graham cracker crust), you can buy gluten-free cookies (like ginger snaps, or anything!) and crush them up in your food processor. I do that ALL the time and they are great!

do you have a whole foods near you, by chance?

peanut butter cookies (like the ones that have the hershey's kiss in the center) are great...i take my regular better homes and garden's recipe and just substitute a flour mixture (of your choosing).

Kibbie Contributor

I make a lot of our gluten free cookies (but growing up if we had cookies it was because I made them with my mom or grandma)

As far as gluten free snack food goes I try and keep that simple (DD is only 1 but you know that) so here is our snack food list and I can get this ALL at a regular grocery store:

Raisins

Craisins

Lots of fresh fruits and veggies

Canned fruits

Apple sauce

jello

Veggie Booty

Cheese

I use Pamela's all purpose baking stuff for my Bisquick but I have several recipes to make it... I just have not gotten around to it yet. In fact we had waffles on Sunday morning that were VERY good :)

I get a lot of my stuff from my local grocery store but they have a decent Gluten free section so I don't have to go far... I do have to go to a Health food store for my gums.. but not flours strange hu?

Let me tell you.... I have a friend who is vegan and eats only 100% organic foods! That means rarely eating out, No school meals, and a million questions at friends houses and birthday parties! To me that seems WAY more restrictive than being Gluten free! Keep reminding yourself that really there are worse things than being gluten free!

Sweetfudge Community Regular
I bought cookies for my dad from Whole Food and he said he actually rechecked the label several times to make sure I wasn't getting the wrong stuff. THey are slightly expensive, maybe a 12 for 3 something, but they were Dark CHocolate Cholate Chunk cookies. My dad has a major sweet tooth, the the first for things I bought him were not that great. They also had the cookies in several other flavors. When I get ahold of the package, or get him more I can get the exact name.

Pretty sure you're describing Pamela's cookies here. These are my favorite! Her other cookies are okay...pecan shortbread are good, but none of the others compare IMHO.

I know Bette Hagman has a recipe for cheddar crackers...I'm gonna look it up cuz I wanted to make it...supposedly taste like cheeseits...that would be a good snack I think :)

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet cookbooks have been a lifesaver for me. I make bread, biscuits, cookies, cakes, muffins, pizza, and lots more. gluten-free Betsy from this forum sent me her website--I think it is eatingglutenfree.com or something like that. Anyway so far all the recipes I have tried from her have been great. The chocolate cake was better than a lot of wheat ones I've eaten and we used it for my son's b-day party and even the non gluten-free guests liked it.

Tinkyada pasta is my friend! We also like Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Pancake mix. DH thinks it tastes as good if not better than regular pancakes. DS and DH use EnerG Foods tapioca hamburger buns and dinner rolls. We also get their wheat free (also gluten-free) pretzels. DS likes envirokidz crispy rice bars and also enjoy life's snack bars. The longer you are cooking the better it gets. DH has been on diet over a year now and DS since June. Our family pretty much all eats gluten-free at home except for a couple exceptions. I am so much less overwhelmed now. There are good desserts out there. :) Kendra

jadobson Newbie

Here are some of my family's favorites- 1 adult, one teenager and one 5 year old all celiac with 2 non-celiacs that have to eat with us :):

Amy's pizza-found at whole foods or local health food store, ask if you don't see it they maybe able to order it for you. We add toppings to it ourselves to make it to our favorite pizza.

Pamela's baking mix, chocolate cake mix, and bread mix-available from amazon cheapest, but your local store should be able to get it as well as whole foods carries it.

Kinninnick oreo's called k-too's- order online from kinninnick or health food store.

Wellshire farms for chicken nuggets.

Tinkayda pasta-whole foods/heath food store. We buy Kraft M&C then use the cheese pkt only for our M&C with the Tinkayda noodles. Yummy

Tom Sawyer's flour-we get our's from gluten free creations in AZ. However you can order it on line too at Open Original Shared Link.

Perky 0's cereal-heath food store.

We like Living without magazine as they have all kinds of recipes and show new products and suggestions.

For cookbooks I love Connie Sarro's as she is down to earth with her ingredient list. My favorite is Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults.-available from amazon or her website directly. My local library also has copies that allowed me to check out her other books as well.

There is also a camp during the summer that we enjoy called the Great Gluten escape which gives the kids a chance to try other foods.

Wamart actually labels some of their brand products so this makes shopping quicker.

If you have a Whole foods check with them and see if they have a support group it'll really help you get started and learn what products are good and not so good. :)

Sorry to be so long winded, but I understand where you are coming from at it has taken us 6 years to figure out what we liked. :D

Guest nini

The Gluten Free Pantry makes a mix called Quick Mix that works 1 for 1 in every Bisquick recipe that I've tried. For all purpose flour I use Orgran's All purpose flour and they have a self raising flour too. I make pies out of The Gluten Free Pantry's perfect pie crust mix (yes it's perfect) and I make cakes out of Pamela's brownie mix or The Gluten Free Pantry's Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie mix (I also use this mix for sugar cookies at Christmas and Easter).

My 6 year old loves the cakes and cupcakes and cookies that I make, she doesn't feel deprived in the least.

pinktulip Apprentice
Pretty sure you're describing Pamela's cookies here. These are my favorite! Her other cookies are okay...pecan shortbread are good, but none of the others compare IMHO.

I know Bette Hagman has a recipe for cheddar crackers...I'm gonna look it up cuz I wanted to make it...supposedly taste like cheeseits...that would be a good snack I think :)

Oh thanks, I keep asking my dad but he finished the box snd I'm going to a different store this week. At least going to try.

wonkabar Contributor
The Gluten Free Pantry's perfect pie crust mix (yes it's perfect) and I make cakes out of Pamela's brownie mix or The Gluten Free Pantry's Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie mix (I also use this mix for sugar cookies at Christmas and Easter).

Hi Nini-

Have you found that the gluten-free Pantry Cake and Cookie Mix comes out dry? I've used it a couple of times and the cookies (snickerdoodles) were really dry and crumbly. I wound up throwing it out! (OUCH!! $$$)

I keep hearing about their pie crust and look forward to trying it. I'll have to try the Quick Mix, too.

**I forgot to add this last time.......we've also made the gluten-free Pantry Banana Quick Bread Mix; it's absolutely delicious! I've made it with and without chocolate chips. Their all-purpose flour makes awesome waffles. We just substituted this for regular flour and made them in waffle maker as usual. They were light an fluffy and kept well in the freezer.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Kristy,

I have used the GFP Cake and Cookie mix for both the snickerdoodles and for pineapple upside-down cake. Both came out well.

Sorry yours didn't--I know those mixes aren't exactly cheap! I wonder if baking them for a little less time would have helped?

wonkabar Contributor
Hi Kristy,

I have used the GFP Cake and Cookie mix for both the snickerdoodles and for pineapple upside-down cake. Both came out well.

Sorry yours didn't--I know those mixes aren't exactly cheap! I wonder if baking them for a little less time would have helped?

Hi! Thanks for the insight. I'll give them another try. I have found that when using their chocolate chip cookie mix if I make a bigger cookie and bake them just a bit less than reccomended they are chewier. This is an excellent mix as well. And, YES they are expensive!! :)

Archived