This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help W/food Choices

lilmama

lilmama Apprentice

Ok I have been recently told I need to go back to gluten free/wheat free foods. As a kid I was on this diet but my mom removed me from it because she miss understood the rules. She thought I would out grow it.

She doesn't remember any of the recipes. I need help w/what words to look for on boxes to avoid. I found soy flour and its gluten free. Can I make bread from this w/out using other flours? If so sny recipes for it?

I'm finding it hard to find foods that I can eat.

Any help to make it easy to understand the Dos and don't of Celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

breann6 Contributor

I bought store gluten free bread and it was yucky to me...so i bought a bread machine and make my own which is delicious!!! i make it with Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix....can't rave enough about that...that makes delicious french toast or sandwiches....

fresh fruits and veggies are always gluten free- Most meats are naturally gluten free (if they are free of preservatives, if not double check lables) season with fresh herbs.

Protein bars- like organic food bar, or zone perfect, and lara bars are good to keep in your purse or in the pantry for a snack attack.

I make pamelas waffles in bulk and freeze for breakfast (with the baking mix) and also do the recipe for muffins the same way- then add bacon and OJ and there is breakfast....

if you have a whole foods market near you- they should have decent selection of gluten free things to get you jump started if not, check your current supermarket, or find some of your nutritional stores and call to see what they stock, and there is always the internet you can order things from like Amazon, and this site has a grocery section too... Our Kroger and Publix has a small selection of gluten free foods....

check out this list from Ingles supermarket of gluten free foods- most of these are available at any grocery store- just double check your labels....

Open Original Shared Link

ask any question you have and read read read the board, that will help tremendously!!

~breann :D

also- here is the link to celiac.com's list of forbidden ingrediant list- just to get you going...

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-52106394444.24

lilmama Apprentice
I bought store gluten free bread and it was yucky to me...so i bought a bread machine and make my own which is delicious!!! i make it with Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix....can't rave enough about that...that makes delicious french toast or sandwiches....

fresh fruits and veggies are always gluten free- Most meats are naturally gluten free (if they are free of preservatives, if not double check lables) season with fresh herbs.

Protein bars- like organic food bar, or zone perfect, and lara bars are good to keep in your purse or in the pantry for a snack attack.

I make pamelas waffles in bulk and freeze for breakfast (with the baking mix) and also do the recipe for muffins the same way- then add bacon and OJ and there is breakfast....

if you have a whole foods market near you- they should have decent selection of gluten free things to get you jump started if not, check your current supermarket, or find some of your nutritional stores and call to see what they stock, and there is always the internet you can order things from like Amazon, and this site has a grocery section too... Our Kroger and Publix has a small selection of gluten free foods....

check out this list from Ingles supermarket of gluten free foods- most of these are available at any grocery store- just double check your labels....

ask any question you have and read read read the board, that will help tremendously!!

also- here is the link to celiac.com's list of forbidden ingrediant list- just to get you going...

I hope I doing this right. I havent figured out how to reply.

Thanks for your help. I will have to travel in to a bigger town to find more choices, heck any choices really. I Asked a local baker today if they knew of where I could find rice flour or wheat free /gluten free around here and they looked at me like I was crazy. I have soy flour and I'm going to try to make bread from it. Right now I have got to learn to look close at lables since I am use to just grabbing something to eat.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

That's a bummer that you got away from the diet & now have to relearn how to eat again...

Clan thompson is a good site to get tons of info & of course this site....

A few mainstream things I can think of quickly are :swanson broth,progresso creamy mushroom ,progresso chicken & rice, progresso I think its called corn chowder are gluten-free...Dinty moore beef stew is gluten-free but not the others.Pillsbury frostings are gluten-free.Kraft will list any ingredients that may cause allergies.

Ragu is okay, I use the cheese sauce in the jar to make mac& cheese using BiAglut spirals (noodles). Taste just like Boston Market's......

I alway tell newcomers to start out eating naked foods, then as you learn what's okay add on a couple new things each week ie: spices & toppings...

The recipe section has many things that are very good. We have some very excellent gluten-free cooks on board.I love the soft breadsticks from CarrieFaith & I just posted a recipe for danish that is very easy & tasty.

Bell & evans has gluten-free chicken nuggets in most grocery stores, they have a black label so you can tell them from the reg. ones.I love Anna's bread mix & her pumpkin bread is wonderful....Pamela's has a very good pancake mix.Foods by George has some good products.

You can eat any veggies , fruit or meats just check out if they are coated, marinated or breaded in a non gluten-free product.

I could go on forever but if you want more Please just pm me & I can give you names of some bettergf products.I do alot of mailorder because there is nothing here much gluten-free....plus I travel ours to buy gluten-free supplies..

blessings

mamaw

It will all fall into place just be patient & don't get overwelmed .....

Sweetfudge Community Regular
I hope I doing this right. I havent figured out how to reply.

Thanks for your help. I will have to travel in to a bigger town to find more choices, heck any choices really. I Asked a local baker today if they knew of where I could find rice flour or wheat free /gluten free around here and they looked at me like I was crazy. I have soy flour and I'm going to try to make bread from it. Right now I have got to learn to look close at lables since I am use to just grabbing something to eat.

you can do some shopping online too. www.amazon .com and www.shopbydiet.com are good places to find gluten free food. just type gluten free into the search. you could also buy your own rice and put it through a grain grinder (if you had one).

good luck and glad you found us! lots of good help and recipes here :)

kbtoyssni Contributor

I love "The Gluten Free Gourmet" cookbook. It's got some really good bread and cake recipes.

Archived