Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elaine33

Pamelas Chocolate Chip Cookies

I mixed the batter for the chocolate chip cookies on the Pamela's baking mix and it was SOO dry I had to add some water and some oil to them to even be able to mold them. Did anyone else find this. I haven't eaten any yet, they are baking right now. :)

Elaine 40

Diagnoses

Possible leaky gut

Wheat/gluten intolerance

Milk intolerance

Sugar intolerance

POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome)

dysautonomia

rectal spasm/proctalgia fugax?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome

endometriosis

adenomysosis

multiple chemical sensitivity

infertility

two second trimester miscarriages

Family history

Mother with B12 deficiency, neurologic symptoms, tachycardia and early-onset dementia (has a terrible doctor who told her all these things are from anxiety)

Sister with multiple sclerosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome

Son with asthma, allergies, hyperactivity

Niece in remission from leukemia/asthma

Niece with polycystic ovarian syndrome

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

These are so good:

Bette Hagmans' Toll House Cookies:

1 3/4 c. feather light mix* 1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 c. sorghum 1 scant tsp salt

1/2 c. margarine 1 tsp vanilla

1/2 c. butter crisco 2 eggs

3/4c. sugar one 12 oz. bag choc. chips

3/4 c. brown sugar 1 c. chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 375. Blend flour, sorghum, xanthan. Cream sugars, margarine and crisco. Add baking soda, salt, vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add dry ingredients. Beat well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Bake 9-11 minutes or until done.

DD: gluten-free/casein-free, soy lite, corn lite

Me: Vegan

I mixed the batter for the chocolate chip cookies on the Pamela's baking mix and it was SOO dry I had to add some water and some oil to them to even be able to mold them. Did anyone else find this. I haven't eaten any yet, they are baking right now. :)

I make chocolate chip cookies from Pamela's Baking mix about every other week, and have never had that problem. I always use real butter instead of margarine, and I usually throw in a tablespoon or so of almond meal. Butter, egg and vanilla are the only liquids. Maybe used too much mix?

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

I make chocolate chip cookies from Pamela's Baking mix about every other week, and have never had that problem. I always use real butter instead of margarine, and I usually throw in a tablespoon or so of almond meal. Butter, egg and vanilla are the only liquids. Maybe used too much mix?

I am embarrassed to post this but I misread the 1/2 cup butter to be 1/4 cup. My, are they dry :P . I'd blame it on my son who was helping me, but I took the butter out hours earlier on my own to soften. Well, duh.

Elaine 40

Diagnoses

Possible leaky gut

Wheat/gluten intolerance

Milk intolerance

Sugar intolerance

POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome)

dysautonomia

rectal spasm/proctalgia fugax?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome

endometriosis

adenomysosis

multiple chemical sensitivity

infertility

two second trimester miscarriages

Family history

Mother with B12 deficiency, neurologic symptoms, tachycardia and early-onset dementia (has a terrible doctor who told her all these things are from anxiety)

Sister with multiple sclerosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome

Son with asthma, allergies, hyperactivity

Niece in remission from leukemia/asthma

Niece with polycystic ovarian syndrome

The December 2006 Issue of Gourmet Retailer Magazine Editor's Choice issued the following:

According to Market Researcher Packaged Facts, as many as 11 million Americans are afflicted with serious allergies to common foods like milk, wheat and peanuts. More consumers are turning to gluten- and allergy-free foods both to manage specific food sensitivities and simply as part of a trend toward more healthful eating. Unfortunately, taste-wise, many of the products out there still need some tweaking. Thankfully, I came across a company that is setting standards in the taste of gluten-free foods. 1-2-3 Gluten Free is a small women-run company that makes mixes for baked goods in a dedicated gluten-free (and peanut-free and nut-free) kosher facility. All products are gluten-free, wheat-free, nut-free and peanut-free. Many are also free of soy, corn, egg and dairy (including casein) and their labels clearly indicate this. Since my mom is sensitive to wheat, but has a wicked sweet tooth, I'm always searching for products that taste as good as the real thing. We recently whipped up a batch of Chewy Chipless Scrumdelicious Cookies and added our own semi-sweet chocolate and butterscotch chips to the mix (all of the products are extremely versatile and the Web site features fabulous recipe suggestions). Without doubt, these were the best tasting gluten-free cookies we've ever had -- the cookies baked up a perfect golden brown with a silky smooth texture and great "mouthfeel," which is unique in the gluten-free market. In fact, you'd never know these were gluten-free. For more information, visit www.123glutenfree.com

-- Kristin V. Montalvo, Editor's Choice, The Gourmet Retailer Magazine, December 2006 issue, p.99.

I am embarrassed to post this but I misread the 1/2 cup butter to be 1/4 cup. My, are they dry :P . I'd blame it on my son who was helping me, but I took the butter out hours earlier on my own to soften. Well, duh.

Try again - everyone I know who has tried these cookies really likes them.

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

Guest nini

We used the Pamela's cookies in a food demo this week and I found them to be too dry too...

By the way, YEP 123 Gluten Free Products are AMAZING!!!! They always turn out just the way they should... I'm just frustrated cos my local store stopped carrying the Aarons dinner rolls mix... man I miss those... (I can't afford to order them online...)

We used the Pamela's cookies in a food demo this week and I found them to be too dry too...

By the way, YEP 123 Gluten Free Products are AMAZING!!!! They always turn out just the way they should... I'm just frustrated cos my local store stopped carrying the Aarons dinner rolls mix... man I miss those... (I can't afford to order them online...)

It's so funny you posted this. We have a pot luck at work and I brought these cookies in today. I make them differently. I use an 8 x 8 pan and bake them almost like brownies at 350 degrees for 20 min. This is the same way I used to make regular cookies before I was diagnosed. I had such a hard time telling when the cookies were ready the conventional way and this way they always come out perfect. I use butter as well. I tend to add things to the cookies, like coconut or peanut butter chips or gluten-free frosting on top just to jazz them up a bit. Definitely try again, the people at work are raving about them.