This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Your Gi System Approve Of Alcohol?

luvs2eat

luvs2eat Collaborator

Been gluten-free for 4+ years and VERY recently, whenever I have a few drinks (be it wine, vodka and tonic, my newly acquired gluten-free beer) I am out of bed at least once a night with the wolverines trying to fight their way out of my intestines and then again several times in the early a.m.... with ... explosions is the only word I can think of... and a smell that (if it doesn't KILL you) is metallic in nature, if you can imagine that.

Never had a problem before.

Am I alone? Are my cocktail days over???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast

I used to have that when I drank beer, not knowing that I was gluten intolerant. But I haven't had that problem since being gluten-free. That is very strange and really awful. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Riayn Newbie

I haven't had a single drink in five years and not because I am an alcoholic, but simply because my body just can't handle it. Both spirits and wine cause a violent reaction in my intestines. I don't know about beer because I could never drink the stuff. I was hoping once I got my health back I could try alcohol again, but maybe not.

loraleena Contributor

I have found that my tolerance for alcohol since going gluten free is much lower. I often get overheated and get heart palpatations and don't feel well. It seems to depend on the kind of wine I drink. Be careful of vodka, because there are a few that have gluten. I just heard one advertised on the radio and it said it was made with whole wheat! I know smirnoffs unflavored is ok.

Guest cassidy

I can't drink wine now. If I have 1/2 glass I feel so hungover the next day - like I drank 3 bottles. I never had a problem before going gluten-free.

Also, I can drink liquor like crazy and not feel drunk or hungover the next day. I don't drink very often at all and I was shocked when I had several drinks and all my friends were tipsy and I was fine.

So, I think your tolerance to alcohol can definitely change after going gluten-free.

bklynceliac Apprentice

I've been gluten-free for about 5 months and get sick every each time I've tried to drink. I eventually just gave up. I don't miss it that much, so I haven't really experimented with different varieties. Alcohol in general is very bad for your digestive system, so I'm planning to avoid it entirely, until I feel so good that one bad day won't bother me much. Here's hoping that day comes.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I haven't been able to drink for years, even before diagnosis. I get shaking that i can't control (and a terrible stomach ache, though usually no vomiting). So I just don't bother. People are always trying to get me to sip their stuff, and even though it probably wouldn't send me into the shaking fits, I still say no thanks.

Besides, women have an increased incidence of cancer if they drink alcohol.

Sorry anyway to hear about your horrible visits to the kamode. Maybe it's something else. What exactly are you drinking, anyway? (and does it involved getting anything out of the fountain at the bar -- water, coke, etc.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lindalee Enthusiast

Are fountain drinks off limits?

blueshift Apprentice

All alcohol made from grain has wheat and gluten. I don't go near any of it but it doesn't bother me because I was never into the bar scene or party scene.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I believe there have been lengthy discussions on here about the distillation process killing any gluten proteins in alcohol. Similar to distilled vinegar - the distillation purifies it.

At any rate, I can no longer partake in any alcohol whatsoever. I have half a glass of wine and I feel like I went on the three day binge. Unbelievable, considering I was quite the party girl in my heyday! I used to be able to drink a sailor under the table! I guess I'm paying for it now, eh? LOL!

sonja69 Rookie

hi!

that's interesting, in a german forum of celiacs there was a similar discussion and also there people concluded that they're less tolerant to alcohol since being glutenfree.

I read that gluten can act like a drug and influences your dopamine system (right?), maybe there some connection with alcohol, gluten and the system?

Sonja

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Yup, I'm a member of this crowd too, not even wine. It all makes me terribly sick. I never was much of a drinker to begin with, so I really do not miss it, just aggravating that if I did want a drink, I can't have it.

emcmaster Collaborator

Alcohol is a GI stimulant, so if you are prone to D in the first place, you'll likely get some form of D from the alcohol. I am prone to C, so alcohol sometimes helps me to "clean out" my system when needed. I drank it frequently before going gluten-free for this very reason.

However, since going gluten-free, it gives me terrible abdominal pain the next day. No gas or anything, just horrible pains. For that reason, I haven't had really anything to drink in at least 2 months. I'm sure that I'll cave soon, though.

happygirl Collaborator
All alcohol made from grain has wheat and gluten.

This is incorrect. Please do not post factually incorrect information.

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-23106011054.bc

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

As to "fountain" drinks....I read on here at some point not to drink stuff that came out of the gun in the bar, as it might be contaminated with, for example, root beer or something. So I don't. I have no idea if it's true.

covsooze Enthusiast

I'm another one who can't touch alcohol. White wine acts like paint stripper on my stomach, red wine gives me migraines, and I've never really been into spirits. I get hot flushes and feeling poorly with very small amounts of any alcohol. I've got some gluten-free beer sitting in my gluten-free cupboard but I expect it'll be waiting there quite a while! The thought of drinking alcohol makes me feel poorly.

happygirl Collaborator

Technically, yes, that could be correct. But if all the brands of soda are safe, then you would be safe. They are very few sodas that are not.

Archived