Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luvs2eat

Does Your Gi System Approve Of Alcohol?

Been gluten-free for 4+ years and VERY recently, whenever I have a few drinks (be it wine, vodka and tonic, my newly acquired gluten-free beer) I am out of bed at least once a night with the wolverines trying to fight their way out of my intestines and then again several times in the early a.m.... with ... explosions is the only word I can think of... and a smell that (if it doesn't KILL you) is metallic in nature, if you can imagine that.

Never had a problem before.

Am I alone? Are my cocktail days over???

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I used to have that when I drank beer, not knowing that I was gluten intolerant. But I haven't had that problem since being gluten-free. That is very strange and really awful. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

I haven't had a single drink in five years and not because I am an alcoholic, but simply because my body just can't handle it. Both spirits and wine cause a violent reaction in my intestines. I don't know about beer because I could never drink the stuff. I was hoping once I got my health back I could try alcohol again, but maybe not.

I have found that my tolerance for alcohol since going gluten free is much lower. I often get overheated and get heart palpatations and don't feel well. It seems to depend on the kind of wine I drink. Be careful of vodka, because there are a few that have gluten. I just heard one advertised on the radio and it said it was made with whole wheat! I know smirnoffs unflavored is ok.

Guest cassidy

I can't drink wine now. If I have 1/2 glass I feel so hungover the next day - like I drank 3 bottles. I never had a problem before going gluten-free.

Also, I can drink liquor like crazy and not feel drunk or hungover the next day. I don't drink very often at all and I was shocked when I had several drinks and all my friends were tipsy and I was fine.

So, I think your tolerance to alcohol can definitely change after going gluten-free.

I've been gluten-free for about 5 months and get sick every each time I've tried to drink. I eventually just gave up. I don't miss it that much, so I haven't really experimented with different varieties. Alcohol in general is very bad for your digestive system, so I'm planning to avoid it entirely, until I feel so good that one bad day won't bother me much. Here's hoping that day comes.

Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)

Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

I haven't been able to drink for years, even before diagnosis. I get shaking that i can't control (and a terrible stomach ache, though usually no vomiting). So I just don't bother. People are always trying to get me to sip their stuff, and even though it probably wouldn't send me into the shaking fits, I still say no thanks.

Besides, women have an increased incidence of cancer if they drink alcohol.

Sorry anyway to hear about your horrible visits to the kamode. Maybe it's something else. What exactly are you drinking, anyway? (and does it involved getting anything out of the fountain at the bar -- water, coke, etc.)

All alcohol made from grain has wheat and gluten. I don't go near any of it but it doesn't bother me because I was never into the bar scene or party scene.

blueshift

from Chicago suburbs near O'Hare

I believe there have been lengthy discussions on here about the distillation process killing any gluten proteins in alcohol. Similar to distilled vinegar - the distillation purifies it.

At any rate, I can no longer partake in any alcohol whatsoever. I have half a glass of wine and I feel like I went on the three day binge. Unbelievable, considering I was quite the party girl in my heyday! I used to be able to drink a sailor under the table! I guess I'm paying for it now, eh? LOL!

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

hi!

that's interesting, in a german forum of celiacs there was a similar discussion and also there people concluded that they're less tolerant to alcohol since being glutenfree.

I read that gluten can act like a drug and influences your dopamine system (right?), maybe there some connection with alcohol, gluten and the system?

Sonja

Yup, I'm a member of this crowd too, not even wine. It all makes me terribly sick. I never was much of a drinker to begin with, so I really do not miss it, just aggravating that if I did want a drink, I can't have it.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Alcohol is a GI stimulant, so if you are prone to D in the first place, you'll likely get some form of D from the alcohol. I am prone to C, so alcohol sometimes helps me to "clean out" my system when needed. I drank it frequently before going gluten-free for this very reason.

However, since going gluten-free, it gives me terrible abdominal pain the next day. No gas or anything, just horrible pains. For that reason, I haven't had really anything to drink in at least 2 months. I'm sure that I'll cave soon, though.

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

As to "fountain" drinks....I read on here at some point not to drink stuff that came out of the gun in the bar, as it might be contaminated with, for example, root beer or something. So I don't. I have no idea if it's true.

I'm another one who can't touch alcohol. White wine acts like paint stripper on my stomach, red wine gives me migraines, and I've never really been into spirits. I get hot flushes and feeling poorly with very small amounts of any alcohol. I've got some gluten-free beer sitting in my gluten-free cupboard but I expect it'll be waiting there quite a while! The thought of drinking alcohol makes me feel poorly.

Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000

Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test

Nov 2005 positive blood tests

January 2006 dx by biopsy

gluten-free and dairy lite since then

I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism

Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12