This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh....bread Recipe Went Bad

Pink-Bunny

Pink-Bunny Apprentice

So I found a gluten-free bread recipe that I tried...well it didn't go too well...I just tried it and it was kinda like not done in the middle...yet the outside was on the verge of burning...

does anyone have a homemade bread recipe that turns out good? along with their own flour mix? I don't really want to get an all purpose flour mix if I don't have too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

The recipe I have cooks the bread at 400. 10 minutes uncovered and 40-45 covered with foil to keep it from burning.

Did your recipe do that?

Pink-Bunny Apprentice

mine said 375 and 35 minutes uncovered and 20 covered

clhsc Apprentice

I've had the same problem before. I cut the bread and placed it on a cookie sheet and cooked the rest. I cut off the overly burnt parts then cut the bread into bite sized squares and made croutons.

I can't help with the bread recipe, but at least you can save the bread you already made. :P

Guhlia Rising Star

I generally use mini-loaves so that the bread cooks in the center, otherwise the crust gets too thick for my liking. Try doing more time with the foil on and less time without it. That may fix your problem.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I've used several bread recipes from The Gluten Free Gourmet and they were excellent. I don't have them with me right now or I'd post them. You should try their french bread :) We've used that before for cheese fondue, and it was wonderful!

lane Newbie

Hi,

I have a bread recipe that I have used for several years. It took some work at first to get it right but I really like it now. I bake it in a medium size loaf pan. I don't know the size but not a regular one or the mini. I think I found the pan at the local Kroger store.

Rice Bread

2 Cups Rice flour (I often make it 1 1/2 rice & 1/2 soy flour)

1/2 Cup Tapioca starch

1/2 Cup Patato Starch (NOT flour)

1 Pkg active dry yeast

1 tsp salt

2 tsp xanthan gum

2 Tabs sugar

3 eggs

3/4 Cup watrm water

1/4 Cup milk

1/2 stick butter

1 tsp apple vinegar

Combine dry ingredients.

Cut butter into liquid and heat in microwave about 45 sec. Butter doesn't need to melt.

Add to flour and mix

Add eggs one at a time

Beat 2 to 3 minutes until well blended.

Pour into medium loaf pan (greased) and cover with plastic wrap(greased)

Place in warm spot to rise about 20 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes

Remove from pan immediately and let cool on wire rack.

You often add flax seeds to this and substituted part of the rice flour with other flours such as soy or sorgum.

you can increase the sugar to 1/4 cup add dried cranberries and make a sweet bread. if you do this you have to take about 2/3 cup of the batter out otherwise it puffs up then falls. Bake this 2/3 cup batter in a small oven proof bowl.

Hope this helps. :) My non celiac husban loves the cranberry bread.

Lane

:rolleyes: OK I forgot to add this. Once batter is in the loaf pan wet your fingers and smooth the top. It makes for a prettier loaf.

Lane

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived