Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

draeko

Vinegar, Vanilla Extract, Natural Flavours And Food Coloring

I have read contradicting information regarding, Vinegar, Vanilla Extract, Natural Flavours and Food Coloring.

Are any of these safe? After being diagnosed with Celiac I saw a dietician and the only information she could give me was Celiac.com.

Are there any other sites with legit information??

Thanks again and thank god for this site.

Melanie

P.S. I am from Canada so are products different from country to country?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome :)

This is probably your best source for online, reliable information! It is frustrating that you can't get reliable info from a dietician, but I'm happy she referred you to the right place.

Yes, it can vary from country to country, esp food labeling laws.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Check out that link....it has a bunch of great info. One of them specifically addresses vinegar. Malt vinegar and apple cider FLAVORED vinegar is not safe, but I believe all others are. (apple cider vinegar is safe...just not the "flavored" one).

Vanilla is almost always safe. McCormick's vanilla extract is safe. The problem used to be the alcohol, and it is safe.

Hope this is a start....

Welcome :)

This is probably your best source for online, reliable information! It is frustrating that you can't get reliable info from a dietician, but I'm happy she referred you to the right place.

Yes, it can vary from country to country, esp food labeling laws.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Check out that link....it has a bunch of great info. One of them specifically addresses vinegar. Malt vinegar and apple cider FLAVORED vinegar is not safe, but I believe all others are. (apple cider vinegar is safe...just not the "flavored" one).

Vanilla is almost always safe. McCormick's vanilla extract is safe. The problem used to be the alcohol, and it is safe.

Hope this is a start....

Heinz apple cider flavored vinegar is now on their gluten free list. I'm pretty sure the brand was Heinz... Whoever owns Ore-Ida.. I think it's Heinz. It used to be on their no-no list, but now it's considered gluten free. I am in the US, I don't know if the same is true for Canada.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004