Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elonwy

San Francisco/bay Area- Weird Fish

So, Weird Fish on 18th and Mission has a soy based batter and dedicated fryers. I know I'm excited, since Fish and Chips is something I've bemoaned the loss of. Had to share the news :)

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've bemoaned the loss of just about anything breaded and fried. My favorite was fish and chips in Tobago where they used flying fish. Absolutely delicious.

I'm too late for Weird Fish though. Soy is on my prohibited list now.

So, Weird Fish on 18th and Mission has a soy based batter and dedicated fryers. I know I'm excited, since Fish and Chips is something I've bemoaned the loss of. Had to share the news :)

Elonwy

Ugh! I was sooo excited after I saw your post that I hunted down this restaurant with some friends last night. Unfortunately, I learned that they have dedicated fryers, but the dedication is between vegetarian foods and non-veggie foods. They have two different batters for the fish - one beer-battered, and one soy-based - but they fry them in the same fryers. I did manage to find something else to eat (cornmeal crusted trout and green beans, cooked in a skillet), but it just wasn't the same! Sorry to break the news, but didn't want you to go out of your way to try this place (not sure where you live, Elonwy).

Whoops, forgot I had posted this on this board as well. Yeah, about a week and a half after I posted this, they changed chefs, who changed the way the fryers were segregated. So it WAS gluten-free, but is no longer. Very sad.

I'm in the East Bay, and made a special trip as well, but missed the window by about two days. I had Celiac friends who ate their before the change, they are upset as well.

Elonwy

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I don't eat fried things because oils and butters make me really sick, but for some reason this post made me really happy. LoL. Probably because I rarely see any restaraunts here in the bay area talk about having "gluten free" things. Does anyone know of anymore bay area restaraunts that do? Any chains? Any healthy restaraunts around here? ANYTHING? lol...I just haven't eaten out in, well, probably 2 years.

Cafe Rustica in Oakland has gluten free pizza ;) You should call ahead to make sure they have the dough in stock. Thats the only one other than PF Changs and Outback that I know of specifically, but I'm new to the area. I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Elonwy

Never felt better.