Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DianeByrd

High Fat Foods Excluding Milk, Soy, And Nuts?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for ideas of foods to feed my 19mo daughter who is "failing-to-thrive" (ftt) and the rest of the family who will have to eat along with her. We're already on a gluten-free diet because our older daughter was ftt. We just recently received results back from Enterolab indicating an intolerance to milk and soy, and we haven't yet introduced tree nuts or peanuts, so we're pretty limited.

So far, all I can think of is eggs, avocados, coconut and coconut oil, sunflower seed butter, tahini, cooking with oil (olive, canola, etc.), and adding a supplement called DuoCal. Any ideas of other foods, or suggestions of how to prepare these?

I only sometimes cook higher fat meats, such as brisket or 85% ground beef or salmon. Am I missing other high fat meats that won't break the bank?

We typically cook boneless skinless chicken because that's what everyone likes. If anyone has any suggestions of how to make dark meat as palatable that would be great.

Thanks!

Diane

Diane

dd: failure-to-thrive beginning at 12 months, thriving since gluten-free diet 1/06

Enterolab tested

dd: failure-to-thrive and chronic constipation beginning at 15 months, resolved after gluten, milk, and soy free

Enterolab tested

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My children love ground beef with taco seasoning. I do have a homemade recipe for taco seasoning as well as chili powder substitute that isn't spicy if you are interested.

Other than that I was going to suggest some of the things you already did. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Roast the chicken, covered, of course, without overcooking it, and the dark meat will be delicious! :) Grilling chicken legs is fabulous too - the key is to just not overcook them. You can also use dark meat in soups and stews. Don't forget to consider getting ground pork and/or sausage as well, for higher fat options.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

My children love ground beef with taco seasoning. I do have a homemade recipe for taco seasoning as well as chili powder substitute that isn't spicy if you are interested.

Other than that I was going to suggest some of the things you already did. :)

I'm always grateful for new recipes! I have a taco seasoning recipe that the family likes, but it may be too spicy for her. What is your chili powder substitute? What percent fat is the ground beef you use? I've always wondered if the fat cooks off anyway.

Roast the chicken, covered, of course, without overcooking it, and the dark meat will be delicious! :) Grilling chicken legs is fabulous too - the key is to just not overcook them. You can also use dark meat in soups and stews. Don't forget to consider getting ground pork and/or sausage as well, for higher fat options.

What does covering the chicken do? I've usually only roasted whole chickens uncovered and we all like the skin that way. Where and in what form do you find the ground pork and sausage? Is it frozen, fresh, all gluten-free?

Diane

dd: failure-to-thrive beginning at 12 months, thriving since gluten-free diet 1/06

Enterolab tested

dd: failure-to-thrive and chronic constipation beginning at 15 months, resolved after gluten, milk, and soy free

Enterolab tested