Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ravenselene

Gluten Free Sandwiches

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering wether or not anyone knows of anywhere that stocks, makes or sells ready made gluten free sandwiches? I'm sure there is a huge gap in the market for this, I'm trying to remedy that but I can't until I know the current availability.

I don't know about anyone else here but I'm forever faced with the dilema of eating rubbish or eating nothing if we stop in a service station...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I travel around alot & I have never seen any gluten-free sandwich bread in service plaza's or even Pamela's individual cookie pkg. I just carry my own with me. I sometimes but a slice of gluten-free turkey breast & add it to my bread in the car.

If your around Denver, CO, there is a place called Deby's Gluten Free Bakery. Not only do they make good bread, you can by pre-packaged sandwiches, even premade lunchs, meatloaf and potatoes and the like.

http://www.debysglutenfree.com/

"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

If your around Denver, CO, there is a place called Deby's Gluten Free Bakery. Not only do they make good bread, you can by pre-packaged sandwiches, even premade lunchs, meatloaf and potatoes and the like.

http://www.debysglutenfree.com/

Amazing Thank You. I'm in the UK though :( The products on the site look tasty, how are the sandwiches?

try your local health food store... mine makes many differnet types of gluten-free sandwiches

Hmmm, seems better than the Uk... Are they any good?

This topic makes me miss Uncrustables :(

I almost forgot about them. Someone needs to make a gluten-free version.

- Lauren

Uncrustables? What are they? I'm in the Uk and not heard of them...

First of all - those of you in Denver are so lucky to have Deby's! I've been to CO before, way pre-Celiac, but now I really want to go there to visit Deby's! Is it weird that I want to plan a vacation around gluten-free food availability?? ;)

Second, Uncrustables are these round sandwiches (made with gluten bread) with peanut butter and jelly. They're called Uncrustables b/c (duh) they have no crust, and the edges are pinched closed. This probably explains it better than I can: http://www.smuckers.com/fg/otg/uncrustables/default.asp

- Lauren

Ener-G makes some of their gluten-free breads packaged two slices per bag. They are pretty expensive, but they do keep for a long time. I plan to take these along with us if we ever make another cross country move.

I think one reason why you don't see sandwiches made up ahead of time is that most of the gluten-free bread I've tried needs to be toasted or at least microwaved a bit to warm it up to be edible. Otherwise it is just mushy or crumbly and doesn't make for a good sandwich.

Things we keep with us "just in case" are raw pumpkinseed bars and Boomi (nut and fruit) bar. Both are small enough to tuck into a purse or cooler and will make a meal substitute if need be. Another option is a can of refried or other beans and some corn tortillas or chips.