Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello all.

I am not a regular to this forum but I feel it is my duty to describe how I finally fully recovered from Coeliac Disease (gluten free of course) so others may learn from my experience.

Like many Coeliacs, I initially recovered well, my villi were growing back and it seemed as though all my problems would be solved. However as I grew back and began to absorb, my symptoms seemed to become far worse. I cut out dairy, I went on a very "healthy" diet, I took many different supplements yet nothing seemed to stop the increasing food intolerances, exhaustion, brain fog and illness. I was now far worse than I had been before diagnosis. I tried the "candida" diet which helped a little. I then moved onto the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) which also seemed to help a little but nothing really worked.

After many months of dedicated research, I finally discovered the cause of my problems - Chemical Food Intolerance.

I am highly intolerant to amines and salicylates. These are natural chemicals found in most common foods. The symptoms are varied and include both physical and mental symptoms. Some people have intolerance to only one chemical, and variations in sensitivity do occur. Food chemical intolerance has been linked to many illness and conditions. These include Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromylgia, Porphyria, Hypoglycemia, Migraine, ADHD, Eczema/Dermatitis, Depression, Asthma, Insomnia, Panic attacks, Brain fog, Rosacea, Psoriasis, Lyme Disease and the ever so popular "Candida". All of these conditions have been cured on a chemical free diet.

If you are recovering from Coeliac Disease but seem to be getting worse or not recovering, then avoiding food chemicals may be the answer. As we recover, unfortunately we absorb more food chemicals. If you have strong detox pathways, this should provide no problem. Unfortunately many coeliacs, due to many years of malabsorption, are not as able to handle these chemicals.

If you wish to try a chemical elimination diet then view the following website:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietitian/fi/diet.html

This website is a host of information including details on amines and salicylates.

Many coeliacs avoid dairy. I find I only have to avoid cheese. I find casein hard to digest but this is not uncommon. Do not avoid dairy unless you have a real problem. Do not eat gluten on the elimination diet (despite being chemical free). Strictness is very important. Meat must be very fresh - no aged meat. I cannot tolerate minced meat or fish unless just caught. Keep a food diary.

I hope somebody finds this information useful. If anybody has questions or needs help, please contact me. I want to help others to finally feel healthy like I do.

Elena

Your post was very informative to me. I have been working so hard on my diet and still get ill sometimes. I just can't figure it out until you mentioned this information.

I know this sounds silly, but could you give me a sample of your meals for a day?

I know they say we can have wine, do you know of any specific kind? The holidays are coming up and I don't want to ruin my evening.

Please feel free to email me sylvia

I know they say we can have wine, do you know of any specific kind? The holidays are coming up and I don't want to ruin my evening.

Her post was regarding the Failsafe Diet....it excludes natural occurring chemicals in foods as well as food dyes, msg, asaprtame and other harmful chemicals.

On this diet wine would be completely out as it is extremely high in both salicylates and amines.

If you dont have a problem with wine (especially red)....its unlikely you have a problem with salicylates or amines.

Rachel

After many months of dedicated research, I finally discovered the cause of my problems - Chemical Food Intolerance.

I am highly intolerant to amines and salicylates. These are natural chemicals found in most common foods. The symptoms are varied and include both physical and mental symptoms. Some people have intolerance to only one chemical, and variations in sensitivity do occur. Food chemical intolerance has been linked to many illness and conditions. These include Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromylgia, Porphyria, Hypoglycemia, Migraine, ADHD, Eczema/Dermatitis, Depression, Asthma, Insomnia, Panic attacks, Brain fog, Rosacea, Psoriasis, Lyme Disease and the ever so popular "Candida". All of these conditions have been cured on a chemical free diet.

I used to believe this was the case for me as well. I avoided salicylates, amines, glutamates, msg, all processed foods, etc. I also have environmental sensitivities as well.

I dont believe that avoiding the chemicals "cures" diseases such as Lyme...or conditions such as candida.

I believe that *something* has caused the detox pathways to not function as efficiently. There ia a high build up of toxins and chemical intolerance is the result.

What causes this though? I was once perfectly healthy and could tolerate anything.....suddenly my detox pathways arent functioning, my body is highly toxic and I'm intolerant to *everything*.

It doesnt make sense to me that I'm destined to live a life avoiding an ever growing list of chemicals and foods to feel better. :huh:

I kept looking for an answer and was finally diagnosed with Lyme Disease.

The bacteria produces toxins that eventually overwhelm the liver and the detox pathways. Candida develops as a result of the weakened immune system, antibiotics, poor diet etc. Both of these are highly "opportunistic". Of course Lyme is foreign to the body whereas yeast is not. However when yeast overgrows.....because of the Lyme...it too will produce its own toxins. More problems will also pile on top of these.....including food and chemical intolerance. Its a chain reaction of events that started somewhere.

In my opinion when Celiac is the only disease present....more and more intolerances should not present themselves once someone is gluten-free and healing. Some people are just not healing because something else is not being addressed.

I believe that avoiding chemicals can reduce symptoms but will not "cure" disease. In my opinion Fibro, CFS, Candida and some of the other conditions you mentioned are not diseases in and of themselves....they are symptoms of disease.

Lyme is NOT a symptom of a disease...its a real disease and it can produce symptoms that can lead to diagnosis of every disease/condition you mentioned. They are not always seperate conditions....although a person may get a diagnosis of Rosacea, Fibro and autoimmune disease....in the case of Lyme...these conditions are ALL symptoms of the Lyme.

The toxins produced by the Lyme create a toxic environment which is also favorable to other pathogens....especially when the immune system is weak. I think its a scenario such as this that leads to chemical sensitivity in some individuals. This is the exact reason my Dr. tested me for Lyme. My complaint was chemical sensitivities and the first thing my Dr. asked was if I'd been tested for Lyme.

He said that chemical sensitivity is extremely common for people with Lyme Disease. I was not aware that there was a link between the two prior to that....now I'm aware that there is a strong link.

Rachel

Hi Elena,

I am so very interested in your diet. I have been on the celiac diet for 9 months. I am better, but not nearly as well as I feel I should be. Could you please contact me at my email address? I would love to talk to you!

Thanks a bunch! Nancy

nancy@ladybugwreaths.com

Hello all.

I am not a regular to this forum but I feel it is my duty to describe how I finally fully recovered from Coeliac Disease (gluten free of course) so others may learn from my experience.

Like many Coeliacs, I initially recovered well, my villi were growing back and it seemed as though all my problems would be solved. However as I grew back and began to absorb, my symptoms seemed to become far worse. I cut out dairy, I went on a very "healthy" diet, I took many different supplements yet nothing seemed to stop the increasing food intolerances, exhaustion, brain fog and illness. I was now far worse than I had been before diagnosis. I tried the "candida" diet which helped a little. I then moved onto the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) which also seemed to help a little but nothing really worked.

If you are recovering from Coeliac Disease but seem to be getting worse or not recovering, then avoiding food chemicals may be the answer. As we recover, unfortunately we absorb more food chemicals. If you have strong detox pathways, this should provide no problem. Unfortunately many coeliacs, due to many years of malabsorption, are not as able to handle these chemicals.

If you wish to try a chemical elimination diet then view the following website:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietitian/fi/diet.html

This website is a host of information including details on amines and salicylates.

Many coeliacs avoid dairy. I find I only have to avoid cheese. I find casein hard to digest but this is not uncommon. Do not avoid dairy unless you have a real problem. Do not eat gluten on the elimination diet (despite being chemical free). Strictness is very important. Meat must be very fresh - no aged meat. I cannot tolerate minced meat or fish unless just caught. Keep a food diary.

I hope somebody finds this information useful. If anybody has questions or needs help, please contact me. I want to help others to finally feel healthy like I do.

Elena