Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crittermom

Corn Tortillas

Hi Everyone,

Well I haven't been here in awhile, things have been crazy however thanks to all of your help, my little lady is doing wonderfully! However we had a setback today, first one since she was diagnosed back in early September. Tonight she had bloodin her stool again and it the stool itself is changing color again and she is complaining of stomach upset. The only thing that has changed in her diet is the introduction of corn tortillas. Based on the ingredient list there are no celiac based ingredients nor are there any that I would have to call on such as food starch or flavorings.

My question is this, if these are cross contaminated by being made in the same factory as the flour (which is not mentioned as per 2006 FDA regulations) could they cause a problem and if so, she hasn't had one since friday would it take this long to produce the effects she was having before the diagnosis? How long would it take to see adverse reaction to something? She is getting a blood test done tomorrow as a follow up to her diagnosis so I guess that will give us the true answer but it takes a couple of weeks to get them back.

Does anyone have a corn tortilla that they use successfully? Thanks for you help in advance!

Melissa

Melissa

Diagnosed Fibromyalgia March 2007

Mom to Katharine, 5 years old diagnosed Celiac Disease Sept 2006

Peanut allergy

Michael 3 years old diagnosed infant reflux at 6 weeks

Dairy Soy allergy until 22 months

Neg blood tests and biopsy Feb 2008

Positive gluten-free dietary response

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.

Margaret Thatcher

Fall down seven times stand up eight.

"I've decided that after air, water, and dirt, the next most common substance on the planet must be gluten!"

Toni Nolte, Overland Park, Kansas

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Ortega hard corn shells or El Paso corn tortilla have both worked fine for me. I hear that Mission corn tortillas are also gluten free.

Amanda

Positive TTG 9/05

Positive endoscopy 9/05

Doing well with "Sprue"

I eat Mission corn tortillas all the time with no problems. The are labeled gluten-free. I believe Mission corn tortillas are made at the same plant as flour tortillas, but on different lines.

Karen

gluten-free since March 05

Mission corn tortillas are awesome for soft tortillas. They are so much better than the other ones on the market. I haven't had any problems with these and I'm relatively sensitive. As for fried tortilla shells, I often fry my own with Mission. They also make fried ones. Yum.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I got sick from Corn tortillas. The hard kind. It said on the bag that they were gluten free but they make wheat stuff in the same place so I am guessing it was cross contamination. For now I stay away from products like that.

One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

Mission Corn products are gluten free, and yes, they are produced in the same facility, but they are produced on separate lines. Actaully, the above 3 statements are actually FAQs off their website, hadn't checked their website in awhile. I don't remeber all that being there before.

http://qa.missionfoods.com/qualityinternet...yquestions.aspx

(select Food Allergens from the drop down)

I've never got sick off them, and they seem to be pretty serious about the allergen thing. I've called them before and they know what I am talking about immediatly, and do state they put a lot of controls in place to prevent cross contamination. So, I trust them.

"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

My word is to be careful with the corn tortillas. Others eat Mission, Great Value, and other brands successfully. I get sick from every brand I've tried. I am not corn intolerant, and do not react to On the Border tortilla chips.

If you search you'll see where I posted of my glutenings from tortillas from the beginning of this for me. For a long time I couldn't figure it out because everyone else eats them. But recently, someone else posted that they broke out with DH after eating Mission tortillas. To my knowledge we are the only 2 who suffer from tortillas, but for me there is no doubt...I am glutened by them, and it must be the cross-contamination. It sounds like your daughter may have the same degree of sensitivity.

El Milagro are gluten-free. I checked with the manufactuer. They use seperate machines to produce flour and corn tortillas, because both are different sizes.

Laura

Started SCD 3/16/06

Diagnosed by Enterolab 2/06/06

IgA & tTg Positive, Malabsorption negative

HLA-DQB1, 0303 0302

Casein IgA positive

gluten-free 2/8/06

Celiac Blood Panel Normal 2/13/06

Rheumatoid Arthritis 7/05