Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

Fresh Produce

Let me tell you why I ask.

At the grocery store I bought some fresh broccoli (one bunch and one single). The cost was different between the two. The clerk weighted the bunch in the bag, without the single floret as she held it in her hand. She then put the single directly onto the scanner (no bag).....I thought eeeewwwwwww!!!!

Can you imagine all the cooties on that scanner. And how about all the handling that fresh produce passes through before we cook it.

So, hence, my question. Does anyone use a main line produce wash?

I do not recall this question coming before the forum before.

Any thoughts?

Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

No I don't. I don't know that it's any more effective than giving produce a thorough rinse with running tap water (and I'm hesitant to add any other potential chemicals to my produce.) An awful lot of hands have touched that produce before it touched the scanner...and before it makes it to your table. Heck, that produce may have grown in a field that's been contaminated with any number of things to boot.

I'll bet Consumer Reports has tested these produce washes...may be worth looking into what they say. :)

Michelle

Edit: Here is a website that gives tips for washing veggies...and ways of creating your own "produce wash:" http://www.stretcher.com/stories/00/001127b.cfm

Lisa,

No, I've never used a veggie wash. I always just rinse produce off very well under running water. If I need to dry something, I use paper towels.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

LOL! You must have posted just as I was adding my edit with that link! :D

Michelle

Brilliant minds....

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Gosh, baking soda, I can handle, Palmolive soap.........don't think so.

Interesting site, thanks for both of you for posting.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Growing up I remember my mom always used to add a small amount of bleach to a sink full of water. She'd let the produce soak for a while and then rinse and soak under cold running water for a good amount of time.

Don't know how "safe" it is, but that's what I grew up on!

Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

I do! I get veggie wash from Trader Joes, a local health-food chain. It's made of natural ingredients and uses the power of citrus acid to sterilize produce. I love it! All you have to do is soak your produce in the solution for a few minutes and viola!, your food is ready to go. I especially love that it takes the wax residue off of non-organic fruits and veggies.

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

Lisa,

I use white vinegar. That is what I found out the juicer I bought recomends.

I have also used a drop of liquid soap and rinse really well.

Don't let them sit in the water long though- it depletes the nutrients.

My usual method is clean sink really well and then fill with water and add about 1/4 cup of white vinegar-stir around and I just drain it on my stainless steel drainer. :)

Lee

I use white vinegar, but also have used bleach if the veggie has a tough outside.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003