Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floridanative

Gluten Free Oats

Moderators please put this in the right place...no time to hunt for it now. I'm now having gluten free oats several times weekly and they are soooooooo good! Have to start out slow since it's so much fiber your system may not be used to (not true in my case) but they come with an instruction card. I got mine at www.glutenfreeoats.com. I'll be making oatmeal raisin cookies this weekend and I can't wait!

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I found certified gluten free rolled oats at Wild Oats last week...I was so happy because I really missed oatmeal for breakfast and have never found a cold cereal that I like well enough to eat twice. The label says that the oats are raised, harvested and transported in dedicated ground and equipment and processed in a wheat free facility. I ate it for breakfast and it was wonderful. I loved the label..it says "special foods for special people". It is packedged in a clear plastic bag, 2.75 pounds and was about $12.00.

I bought that bag of oats and had a bit of it in a meatloaf tonight. Will see what happens tomorrow (my reactions are delayed about 15 hours). I sure hope these oats are exactly what they say, gluten-free. I'm dreaming of oatmeal cookies :)

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

I bought that bag of oats and had a bit of it in a meatloaf tonight. Will see what happens tomorrow (my reactions are delayed about 15 hours). I sure hope these oats are exactly what they say, gluten-free. I'm dreaming of oatmeal cookies :)

Dear ArtGirl,

My reactions are sometimes as long as 12 hours! I hope you get back to us on this! I would love some gluten-free oatmeal cookies! My mom's meatloaf recipe has oats in it! I have not had meatloaf since going gluten-free about four months or so ago!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

I hope that you had no reaction from the oats...I know that I kept waiting and waiting to see if something happened, finally forgot about it and realized later that they were fine. About meatloaf, I found a can of corn tortilla crumbs in my regular grocery store and they worked great for making meatloaf...I always use ground turkey, grated carrots, chopped onion and a little fresh parslely when I make it and it makes the best sandwiches when it is cold.

Sissy

The gluten free oats I got are most definitely gluten free but I chose them since the owners daugter has Celiac and he started the company so she could oatmeal for breakfast like she'd done her whole life. I've also met others who love the oats from Wild Oats (we don't have here) and some from www.giftsofnature.com. I'll let you know how my cookies turn out..........I'm so excited I may not wait until tomorrow to bake them!

The gluten free oatmeal raisin cookies were to die for! I used Naturally Gluten Free cookie blend flour and for every cup of flour, you deduct one tbsp. of the cookie blend flour. I also made a few pan bars since all the cookies did not fit on the cookie sheet. They were very good for about three days and after that they were too stale for me. Also, the cookie recipe I used was from Quaker which I found on www.recipezaar.com. My hubby shared some cookies with gluten eaters and they were impressed that they were good and gluten free!

I didn't seem to have any gluten reaction to the oats in my meatloaf. I am going to try eating some oatmeal after the holidays - right now I'm having some GI issues so need for that to settle down (I don't always know what sets it off, don't think it was gluten but could have been something else!!!).

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

These are great! I've made apple crisp with them, adding brown sugar, gluten-free four flour blend and coconut oil (we have additional food allergies). Also made the meatloaf. I used ground flax and water instead of egg. Made a double batch. Added a can of tomato juice and a small jar of homemade chili sauce for flavor. Chopped up a couple of onions, carrots, celery ribs and a handful of spinach in the food processor then added the oatmeal and flax to that. I saw a recipe elsewhere for an oat containing meatloaf and it recommended processing the oats first. The loaves were good when fresh, but the leftovers were amazing! I froze them, then to reheat, I put them in a baking dish, covered with with ketchup and heated them through. The texture seemed to improve with the reheating.