This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

2 Questions For The Pros...im Newly Diagnosed

Guest ShannonL

Guest ShannonL

I have been gluten free for 1 week today. Feeling better. Though still a couple of questons.....

1)I do have diarrhea EVERY morning after my coffee. I use non dairy creamer and nutrasweet. Could it be this?

2)I have a headache everyday. It is relived with Excedrin. Am I addicted to Excedrin or is this a symptom of gluten intolerance?

3) Do I have to use gluten-free products if I dont have skin issues?

Thank you all. I dont know where I would be without you!!!

Shannon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I have been gluten free for 1 week today. Feeling better. Though still a couple of questons.....

1)I do have diarrhea EVERY morning after my coffee. I use non dairy creamer and nutrasweet. Could it be this?

2)I have a headache everyday. It is relived with Excedrin. Am I addicted to Excedrin or is this a symptom of gluten intolerance?

3) Do I have to use gluten-free products if I dont have skin issues?

Thank you all. I dont know where I would be without you!!!

Shannon

Shannon,

Glad that you are feeling better. Coffee is a stimulant, even for non-celiacs. If possible, perhaps a switch to tea in the morning would be helpful with the Diarrhea.

I should think that is you continue to be gluten free your headaches will deminish, as it has with many here. Too much medication of any sort it really pretty hard on your stomach.

And finally, yes you personal products must be gluten free. Shampoo will get into your mouth during a shower, lotions as well and most importantly make sure that your lipsticks are gluten free. Any gluten that can get into your mouth will cause damage.

Hope that was helpful

Guhlia Rising Star

Glad that you're feeling better. Your daily D could be a result of coffee. Coffee is a known diuretic as is nutrasweet. If you're having D after drinking it, you may want to lay off of it until your system has had more of a chance to heal, then reintroduce. If you need your daily cup, try using real sugar instead of nutrasweet and see if that makes a difference. De-caffeinated coffee may also make a difference for you. As for the Excedrin, you may very well be having rebound headaches by taking it every day. This is a vicious cycle to get into. You should probably talk to your doctor about alternatives. Your doctor will probably want to put you on a preventative medication to head off the headaches before they start. Taking Excedrin every day is really bad for you though so you'll want to avoid this. Yes, you should use gluten free skin products. Skin products have the uncanny ability of working their way into our mouths. Shampoo can run into your mouth in the shower (I know what my shampoo tastes like, don't you?). Lotion will be transferred to your mouth via your hands while you eat, bite your nails, etc. Makeup will undoubtably get in your mouth throughout the day. It's just much safer to maintain a completely gluten free lifestyle, personal care products included. I didn't have DH or any skin reaction when I first went gluten free, but I didn't fully recover until all of my soaps and lotions were gluten free as well. Now, when I touch gluten, I get very itchy. This was never a problem for me prior to diagnosis, I worked in a pizza shop most of my life...

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have to agree coffee could be the culprit causing the "D". Tea is more gentle on the stomach. There is also a new coffee by Folgers or Maxwell House...you have to forgive me I don't drink coffee at all but, it is designed for sensitive stomachs. I don't even know whats all in it. Just giving a suggestion in case you want to keep the morning cup of joe :)

Guest ShannonL

Thank you all! I will try the sugar INSTEAD of nutrasweet first. LOL I love my coffee. I think I am getting rebound headaches sooooo I will talk to the dr. about that. I am now on a hunt to see if any of my products that I currently use are gluten-free. Where did you find this info? Is there a list available?

Michi8 Contributor
Thank you all! I will try the sugar INSTEAD of nutrasweet first. LOL I love my coffee. I think I am getting rebound headaches sooooo I will talk to the dr. about that. I am now on a hunt to see if any of my products that I currently use are gluten-free. Where did you find this info? Is there a list available?

The coffee can contribute to the headaches too, BTW. :)

Michelle

jmengert Enthusiast

Welcome to the board! This place was literally a lifesaver after I was diagnosed (and still is!).

Okay, products I use (all verified as gluten-free--I contacted companies about the products)

NARS cosmetics (all their stuff is gluten-free, including skin care--I get it from Sephora.com)

Dove shampoo/conditioner--Dove clearly labels wheat, oats, barley, and rye, so you can just read their ingredients

Sometimes Garnier Fructis color care shampoo/conditioner--most (if not all) of their stuff is gluten-free; I just email the company, and they get back to me right away

Dove Hairspray

Dove frizz creme

Crest toothpaste

Proactiv face wash, lotion, and some other facial products (I have adult acne)

Garnier shine spray for hair

Dove lotion

I don't worry about deoderant (but I feel that most are gluten-free), but everything else that goes on my body or in my body is gluten-free.

One more line of products to check out is Neutrogena; on the board here is a list of their gluten-free products, which is quite a lot.

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived