Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Just Wanted To Say Thanks To Everyone For Being So Great!

So I've spent some time on another forum (which will remain nameless), and I've shared some personal problems...all I ever seem to get from the people there are criticisms. They just have no regard for how their words make me feel. I'm just happy that I have you all to vent to and help me through my problems in a constructive way! You all rock! ;)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Rant away here, you're safe! It's quite therapeutic, eh? ;)

Hugs.

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Glad you found all of us here, I felt the same way when I first came here. I thought I was the only person in the whole world with this condition. That I was going to wallow in my own self pity for the rest of my life.... boy was I wrong. I dont even think celiac anymore. Its just my way of life now.. it becomes so natural, its like I was never any other way.

The people here are great. Always supportive, no matter what.

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

Stick with us, Sweetfudge--you're safe here :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

You're so right about other forums. I've been a member of many forums, for fibromyalgia, Asperger Syndrome (three of those), Tourette Syndrome, and this is the first one where I've really felt safe.

It seemed on other forums, the nice people (or defenseless ones, like me) get bullied until they leave. Here, any bullies that start treating others badly, are made to leave instead. It's a great place to be.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that ever being so miserably depressed while eating gluten, how could I possibly find anyone else's comments or experiences something to grouch about?? :D

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I think that ever being so miserably depressed while eating gluten, how could I possibly find anyone else's comments or experiences something to grouch about?? :D

lol!

thanks all! :)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Guest nini

this is a really great site! Thanks to Scott for creating it, and thanks to all the wonderful friends I've met here!

I agree... I've learned so much here and know I can ask anything and get experienced and tolerant answers!!

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Yep...had a bad experience too on another celiac forum, and now this is the only place I post. The people here are absolutely awesome, I learn something new everyday. Thanks, ya'll!

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

I also agree as this type of forum goes, celiac.com can't be beat. Only very few negative people told me some things that thank goodness turned out not to be true. I ignored them and plunged on learing this new way of life. Now I find I don't have time for this board as much so I love listserv since I it's quick and you may be able to help someone and if not you just don't reply. But when you really need help with a product or anything really, someone on this board is likely to be able to, and take the time to help you. Some of the boards out there are so fanatical they are scary. I got some really bad medical advice from several people on such a board. When their advice about exactly what type of supplement to take turned out to be wrong, I left and never looked back.

Though it's been said before - special thanks to Nisla and Patti as they let me know I would be okay when I was so scared in the very beginning. Happy Holidays guys!

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06

Oh yes, it was not so long ago when I was panicked, struggling and clueless about Celiac Disease. This was my first experience on a message board, as many of you remember. Kaitie, celiac3270, Karen, Lynne, Patti, Judy, Mouse, Rachel, richard, Shirley, as well as others, walked me through this maze, and with their help, I found my way out. Many have become dear friends.

I truely could not have become healthy without ALL of you and I give you my thanks. :)

PS: That's about as sappy as I get, so enjoy it. :P

Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Agreed to the idea "this site is great".

I've been on many other sites. Gluten related and ones that are not. So many of the replies to questions are of the following.

1. You didn't say where you were from. You must say where your from.

2. "Search.... this question has been asked 100 times..."

3. Or simple one off "me too" or "ya that". Yes in away this post is one of those, but it contains more letters that "yea that"

Ahh... I just had to rant.

"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

This is such a great post, I just wanted to bump it up a bit.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

This place is awesome, I have had experiences elsewhere where I was belittled and made to feel I was making everything up. I felt I had to keep on defending myself.

But here I can just say as much or as little as I want without getting the third degree. It is very therapeutic to just sit and type, it makes me feel better.

The best part, as far as my family is concerned, as I have become a bit obssessed with coeliac, is that I don't bore them to tears with it.

Cathy

Agreed to the idea "this site is great".

I've been on many other sites. Gluten related and ones that are not. So many of the replies to questions are of the following.

1. You didn't say where you were from. You must say where your from.

2. "Search.... this question has been asked 100 times..."

3. Or simple one off "me too" or "ya that". Yes in away this post is one of those, but it contains more letters that "yea that"

Ahh... I just had to rant.

i had the same experience and laughed when i read the thing about "say where you are from" i also hated how you HAD to say "eating out is risky" everytime you mentioned a restaurant!! lol

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)