This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Annoyed With New Doctor

corinne

corinne Apprentice

I just moved to California from Montana so I had to find a new doctor (too bad - my doctor in Montana was fantastic). I asked my new doctor for a thyroid test. I get this once a year because of multinodular goitre. When I went into the lab this morning, I found out that he had ordered a whole stack of other tests. That's great, but it would have been nice to be told. One of the tests is the celiac panel. There's absolutely no point to this test. First, I have been gluten free for a year. Second, I don't have celiac disease. I have tested negative on the celiac panel several times before when I was eating gluten. I have collagenous colitis which can also be treated with a gluten free diet. I have been in complete remission with the colitis now that I am gluten free. So now I get to pay (part anyways) for a test that I don't need.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Corrine,

I"m sorry that you have a doctor like this---how frustrating! There seem to be so many of them!

Personally, I would recommend finding a new doctor. It is a pain, but worth it in the long run.

Amazing that he ordered the Celiac panel....most docs don't get it. I have one who told me I didn't have a problem with gluten.

Go figure.

Good luck and I hope you find someone else!

Laura

• 1 month later...
tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Given that I have had so much trouble with doctors MISSING things, I'm kind of thinking "better safe than sorry". I had to press for months and months to have a genetic test done when my paternal grandfather DEFINITELY had the syndrome. Come to find out? I have BOTH genes. If I found a doctor who was a little more pro-active and a little more "over" than "under", I may stick with him/her for a while, just to see . . . . .

hathor Contributor

If it were me, I would have refused the tests I knew nothing about or felt were unnecessary.

I know it is easier to look at things in retrospect. But for the future, people should realize that it is up to them what tests or treatments they have, not their doctors. (A couple years ago, a doctor insisted I needed surgery on my knee. I said I wasn't convinced. He got angry, but thing is, I didn't have to convince HIM. He had to convince ME and he hadn't. They couldn't do the surgery without my permission, even though it was scheduled. [i ended up with a knee completely healed by physical therapy, at which point the doctor said he was glad "we" had decided against the surgery :blink:])

Similarly, if you want a test and your doctor is reluctant, tell him or her that you will just go ask for a second opinion from another doctor because you think the test is necessary. No guarantee that this will work, but I've found it effective.

• 2 years later...
choiceshealthfood Newbie

Corinne,

My brother lives in Montana, just outside Missoula, and we are trying to locate a good Gastroenterologist for his step-daughter (who we suspect has gluten sensitivities, possibly Celiac).

Any chance you lived in Missoula? Or perhaps could provide your Ex-Doc's info so we could contact him and ask for recommendations?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Brynn Hildebrand

Archived