Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi, I have just read about a vanilla question, and put my two cents worth in, and it does make me want to ask about the colour caramel that has the food additive no 150 either with an a, b, c, or d after it.

From what I gather 150a is plain caramel, see below, so I guess it is from sugar, but what are the others derived from? I have tried searching the net, but I can not seem to find an answer.

From what I gather, caramel is gluten free, even the food additive, but I seem to react to something in some suppossed gluten free products that have 150 listed as the colourant. Maybe it is wheat based, but the amount of gluten in them could be neglible and not register on the machines that test for gluten.

These are the explanations I found for the different caramel no's, but what they mean I don't know. Does anybody else know?

E 150a Plain Caramel

E 150b Caustic sulphite caramel

E 150c Ammonia caramel

E 150d Sulphite ammonia caramel

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, I have just read about a vanilla question, and put my two cents worth in, and it does make me want to ask about the colour caramel that has the food additive no 150 either with an a, b, c, or d after it.

From what I gather 150a is plain caramel, see below, so I guess it is from sugar, but what are the others derived from? I have tried searching the net, but I can not seem to find an answer.

From what I gather, caramel is gluten free, even the food additive, but I seem to react to something in some suppossed gluten free products that have 150 listed as the colourant. Maybe it is wheat based, but the amount of gluten in them could be neglible and not register on the machines that test for gluten.

These are the explanations I found for the different caramel no's, but what they mean I don't know. Does anybody else know?

E 150a Plain Caramel

E 150b Caustic sulphite caramel

E 150c Ammonia caramel

E 150d Sulphite ammonia caramel

Cathy

Okay, I knew I didn't like to see the words 'carmel coloring' on anything. Now I know why <_< They don't look like anything I want in my body.

As to the gluten reaction issue, I react to some also and have avoided brown sodas for a while. I found out recently that one soda manufacturor uses the Codex Standard to define gluten free, which as we know is not really gluten-free, perhaps your issues with these have the same root cause? Just a guess. Where are our resident scientists?

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

My understanding is that caramel colour in North American products is gluten free (not derived from wheat or other gluten grains at all), but that is not the case world-wide. I'll try to find the link to one manufacturer again, and will post it when I do. There is one particular manufacturer that has good gluten-specific information about their products.

Michelle

Here is the link to D.D. Williamson's gluten statement: http://www.caramel.com/a-167-396-Compliance-Gluten-Free.aspx If you look at their allergy info, they also state that none of the raw sources in their North American or South American caramel colour come from wheat or gluten.

The link to Sethness Caramel Color gluten and allergen statments: http://www.sethness.com/products_specs.htm

Neither company uses gluten, or gluten grains in manufacture of caramel colour.

Michelle