Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nic

Test Results From Enterolab

I just received the gene testing results from Enterolab for my 4 year old son Lucas. It stated that he does not have the Celiac genes but that he has two gluten sensitivity genes, HLA DQ 3,1 (subtype 7,6). Now this will sound completely ignorant, but, obviously my husband and I are each carrying a gluten sensitivity gene. But my father and my older son have Celiac so it seems obvious that I must be carrying a Celiac gene too. So am I right to think that we each have 2 of these types of genes and my first son happened to get the Celiac gene (probably from my father) and the younger son got the non celiac gene I must have from my mother which would mean I only carry 1 Celiac gene? I know it is dumb, but I always have this concern "what if my oldest doesn't have Celiac?". Really a stupid thought because he is a million times healthier than when he was on gluten (has gained 15 pounds and 5 and a half inches in a year and a half). Also, does everyone feel safe with Enterolabs results? Because now that it is negative for the celiac gene I keep second guessing whether I should have used a lab like prometheus. And here is the last question, if someone is gluten sensitive rather than Celiac, is there still an autoimmune response? And would weight gain with Celiac be part of the autoimmune reaction or just a symptom of gluten. Sorry for all the questions.

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is only one gene that Dr. Fine does not consider to be gluten intolerant, that is the DQ4 and is only found in orientals, so pretty much all of us without an Aisan heritage have two gluten intolerant genes.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I know of one person on the board who has two gluten intolerant genes and tested positive for celiac, so you can have the full-blown disease without the celiac genes.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

My doctor uses Prometheus or Enterolab for genetic testing. His PA told me that it doesn't really matter which one you use but that Enterolab identifies all of the genes and subtypes and Prometheus just tells you if you have the celiac genes. DQ 1 is not identified by Prometheus but, from what I read here, is accepted as a gene associated with neurological problems from gluten.

Karen

gluten free 4/06

casein free 7/06

DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free

vegetarian

gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab