• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

BTW: I rip on doctors alot because so many of them misdiganosed or mistreated me. But when I finally found a good one, he spent 6 months testing me and wouldn't give up til he diagnosed me. I had a check-up recently and he told me that, now that he knows what to look for, he's diagnosed 3 other celiacs in the past year. That's after 30 years of never diagnosing anyone with celiac! There are some doctors who actually try to do a good job.

Omg TestyTommy I got chills reading this!!

What a fantastic Dr!!

To everyone else -

If you've been gluten-free a while and are still too thirsty, having some GI symptoms, bloating, exhaustion, hdaches, etc (many possibilities where I'm going), you may do yourself a GREAT favor by looking into Candida overgrowth.

I saw more than a couple of posts reminding me of me in this regard.

I'm nearly positive that far more long-term celiacs develop Candida overgrowth than what seems to be accepted thought on this topic.

To make sure I'm clear - I'm talking about celiacs who've been gluten-free a while, but several symptoms, incl thirst remain, tho often the symptoms have diminished some since going gluten-free.

I was tested multiple time by multiple doctors for both types of diabetes. But, of course, since I didn't have it, the tests were always negative. Then the doctors would give up. "Well, the tests were negative, so there must not be anything wrong with you. It must be in your imagination."

My sister was also diagnosed with celiac a couple months ago. I hadn't seen her in awhile, and she showed up on a beautiful spring day wearing long sleeves. I teased her about it, and she showed me her 'rash' that she'd had for the past year or so. It was the biggest, nastiest giant red blotches I'd ever seen. I'd never had DH as a symptom, but I pulled out some of my celiac books and it sure looked like what they described. She had been to a number of doctors, and they all said things like, "Huh! I've never seen anything like that before!" No one tested her for celiac, despite her having a brother with the disease. She went back to her doctor, and he still didn't want to test her! DOCTORS ARE IDIOTS!

Tom:

I've always been suspicious of candida as one of those made-up internet diseases. Can you point me towards some info? Have you had any success? What kind of treatment have you had?

I have been researching extreme thirst! I am SO THIRSTY!!! I have been gluten-free for about 2 1/2 months. This is a new thing that is going on. I have NEVER had this before. I am so thirsty I am waking up numerous times in the middle of the night to get water. I also don't want ANYTHING but water which is new because I usually never want any water; only soda, juice, etc. Should I get tested for diabetes? I am worried...also I have been severely anemic in the past and it is fine now. Also the way I know is because water used to make me want to puke when I was anemic.

Kassandra ;)

Hi Kassandra,

Thirst can certainly be a sign of diabetes, so you should get tested. My problem (and the problem of some others on this thread) is that we were negative for diabetes, and then no one bothered to test us for anything else -- like celiac!

Another thing: watch your electrolytes. If you're drinking a lot of water, it may not be getting inside your cells if you're not getting enough electrolytes, especially salt. (This happened to me). Some things to try:

add about 1/4 tsp of salt to each glass of water you drink, especially in the morning.

sometime drink beverages like Gatorade that have electrolytes in them, instead of water.

I used a product called 'Endurolytes' that have electrolytes in capsule form.

Good luck!

A lot of you know I have gone back on gluten for a time to be tested. I have noticed since going back on it; aside of feeling just horrible, that I am constantly thristy all the time. Now this is a symptom I had before going gluten-free, and it went away when I was gluten-free, but I didn't even notice it was gone until going back on gluten and finding that it is back. And, wow is it back with a vengence! Anyone else noticed this? Is it a symptom of celiac disease, or is it maybe that gluten foods just have more dehydrating ingredients (I know that sounds weird but I am sure it is possible)? Thanks!

Deanna

maybe your body is just working overtime and needs more fluids! (when you have the flu or are sick otherwise, you usually need more, celiac is no different if you're back on gluten for testing)

I've also had terrible thirst for the past several days--never had it before going gluten-free 11 days ago. (No, I don't have diabetes.) I'm eating a balanced diet and have been cooking for myself no eating out, no premade foods. But each day the thirst seems to be getting more intense. Can anyone help?

OMG!! This is my first time on this. I was just recently diagnosed and I am looking for information. As I sit at my computer here with a bottle of ice cold water and a cup of ice! I crave ice or flavored ices ALL the time!! I actually feel sooooo sick (tired, nausea, headache) if I don;t drink a ridiculous amount of water. I am always up several time a night to pee. I also was checked for diabetes and do not have it. I was diagnosed with celiac (without a biopsy) as a baby and was told be 3 that I had outgrown it. I have suffered for years including bloating, cramps, nausea, migraines, foggy head, severely severely itchy skin without rashes....and others. I finally, on the recommendation of my children's pediatrician had blood work (positive) and then a biopsy to finally conclude, I really had always had celiac. I am really just learning about all of this but never knew my weird thirst was part of it!!!!

A lot of you know I have gone back on gluten for a time to be tested. I have noticed since going back on it; aside of feeling just horrible, that I am constantly thristy all the time. Now this is a symptom I had before going gluten-free, and it went away when I was gluten-free, but I didn't even notice it was gone until going back on gluten and finding that it is back. And, wow is it back with a vengence! Anyone else noticed this? Is it a symptom of celiac disease, or is it maybe that gluten foods just have more dehydrating ingredients (I know that sounds weird but I am sure it is possible)? Thanks!

Deanna

I would guess that it is due to loose stools. I used to be so thirsty all the time that I was checked more than once for diabetes. Off-gluten for 4 years and I don't need to drink about 120oz of water a day anymore. I'm on a gluten challenge as of yesterday for one month to set up for an endoscopy and I woke up in the middle of the night so thirsty I could hardly get to the kitchen fast enough. I drank 16oz of water and had to stop myself from continuing. This morning, loose stools as I used to have before I went off of gluten. I'm pretty sure they're connected.

Please note, the last post on this thread is from 2007. The OP you are responding to is from 2004.