This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Free Dresden Stollen Bread Recipe

Guest AutumnE

Guest AutumnE

Im craving it, Its a holiday favorite for our family.

I usually buy it from a german town near us but alas I cant this year. Does anyone have a recipe for it?

Thanks so much :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast

I asked for a recipe last year on this forum and I don't think anyone replied. Lets hope for a reply this year. I love stollen.

Guest AutumnE

That's a shame :( I was hoping to continue this tradition. I might just have to experiment, If I get a good loaf out of it I'll pm you the recipe :)

eleep Enthusiast

I love Stollen too! I know there's a recipe for a ricotta-based stollen in Bette Hagman's Revised Edition of the Gluten Free Gourmet -- I would type it up for you, but the book is at home and I'm out of town through the holidays.

eleep

Felidae Enthusiast
I love Stollen too! I know there's a recipe for a ricotta-based stollen in Bette Hagman's Revised Edition of the Gluten Free Gourmet -- I would type it up for you, but the book is at home and I'm out of town through the holidays.

eleep

I'll try and get the book from the library.

Guest AutumnE

Thanks so much erica, Im off to search for it. I have one of bette hagman's books, I have to look and see if its that one.

Autumn

Rusla Enthusiast

I have never had stollen so I must be missing something. I am looking for a good melt in your mouth shortbread cookie and Irish soda bread recipe. I have to do them for a wedding and I love shortbread anyway.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest AutumnE

Tada! I found a recipe for it! Its a machine recipe-

Title: Fruit And Nut Bread (Stollen)

Yield: 1 Servings

Ingredients

------------------------DRY INGREDIENTS-------------------------------

1 c brown rice flour

2 c white rice flour

1/2 c sugar

1 1/3 c non-fat dry milk powder

1/2 ts salt

1 c mixed dried fruit(currants, cut into

-raisin; size pieces)

1/2 c nuts, chopped small

3 1/2 ts xanthan gum

1 pk dry yeast

------------------------WET INGREDIENTS-------------------------------

2 lg eggs, beaten

1 3/4 c warm water

1/4 c butter, melted

Instructions

*from Sandra Leonard, Fairborn, Ohio

Here are some more recipes for gluten-free breads made in the bread

machine. These recipes contain 3 cups of flour--the directions recommend

halving the recipe if your machine has a 2-cup capacity. These recipe come

from a booklet "Breads--Gluten-free, of course!" from the Celiac Sprue

Support Group-Ohio Miami Valley Area.

Mix dry ingredients very well in a bowl. Mix wet ingredients well in

another bowl. Place dry and wet ingredients into your baking container as

suggested by bread machine manufacturer. NOTE: If your bread machine has a

designated time to add nuts and fruits, add fruit and nuts at this time.

frosting-

3 c powdered sugar

1/3 c soft butter

1 1/2 ts vanilla; or other flavoring

2 tb milk; or more as needed

Mix the sugar and butter together. Stir in vanilla and add milk to

desired consistency, spread over top of bread.

Guest AutumnE

rusla- It is wonderful! Since you like irish soda bread you would love this. Its a fruit bread also.

here's a few recipes I found, I havent tried them yet though-

Irish Soda Bread - Recipe

Adapted from 500 Treasured Country Recipes, by Martha Storey

Simple Solution

Martha Storey and friends think that this delicious fruit-studded bread is good 365 days a year, not just on St. Patrick's Day. it is one of the easiest breads you'll over make, they say, since there is no yeast.

Irish Soda Bread

4 cups organic gluten flour

1 tablespoon salt

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup raisins or dried currants (optional)

1 1/2 - 2 cups buttermilk (or use regular milk combined with 2 teaspoons white or cider vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter a baking sheet or cake pan.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and soda, then stir in the raisins, if desired. Add enough buttermilk to make a soft, kneadable dough.

3. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead it briefly. Shape it into a round loaf and place it on the baking sheet. Cut a cross in the top of the loaf with a single-edged razor blade or a very sharp floured knife.

4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.

Yield: 1 loaf

Irish Soda Bread (whole foods recipe)

Gluten-Free, Vegetarian

This gluten-free version of the classic Irish Soda Bread is flavorful and crumbly, rather like an oversized scone, and best eaten within a day or two of baking.

Makes about 10

Rusla Enthusiast

Thanks for the soda bread recipe. There isn't enough of me this week.

Felidae Enthusiast

I'm glad that you found a recipe. I don't have a bread machine. I'd like to make the ricotta stollen when I can find the recipe. I can't wait to try the Irish Soda bread too.

Guest AutumnE
Thanks for the soda bread recipe. There isn't enough of me this week.

Glad to do it :)

Felidae-

Well how I would try it if I didnt have a machine to use would be ( most of info from another recipe but this one had gluten)-

Put warm water and yeast in bowl and dissolve the yeast.

Add the sugar, eggs, butter and half of the flour. Beat for maybe 10 minutes

Blend in the remaining flour, nuts, fruits, milk powder, salt, and xantham gum.

Let it rise maybe 1 to 2 hours till it doubles and punch it down, cover, refrigerate overnight.

knead the dough

Roll into one or two rectangles, butter it, and fold over the edges to make a rolled loaf.

Place on a greased cookie sheet with the folded edges down. Spread with a combination of 1 egg white and 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water. Let rise until doubled in size (45 to 60 minutes).

Bake 30-35 minutes at 375F until golden brown

Cool and add frosting

Felidae Enthusiast
Glad to do it :)

Felidae-

Well how I would try it if I didnt have a machine to use would be ( most of info from another recipe but this one had gluten)-

Put warm water and yeast in bowl and dissolve the yeast.

Add the sugar, eggs, butter and half of the flour. Beat for maybe 10 minutes

Blend in the remaining flour, nuts, fruits, milk powder, salt, and xantham gum.

Let it rise maybe 1 to 2 hours till it doubles and punch it down, cover, refrigerate overnight.

knead the dough

Roll into one or two rectangles, butter it, and fold over the edges to make a rolled loaf.

Place on a greased cookie sheet with the folded edges down. Spread with a combination of 1 egg white and 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water. Let rise until doubled in size (45 to 60 minutes).

Bake 30-35 minutes at 375F until golden brown

Cool and add frosting

Oops, I guess I could have used my brain too. It's the holiday season and I temporarily turned it off. Thanks for the assistance. LOL

Guest AutumnE

lol! I know what you mean and I still have at least a dozen presents to buy! Not to mention none of my holiday baking is done! Thank goodness rock candy, fudge and sugar cookies are pretty easy.

I dont have a machine either but Im borrowing my mom's. I hope to get a zojirushi one of these days but probably not for awhile. I have a credit card bill I have to get cleared off first.

Japsnoet Explorer

nk you for the recipe I have been looking for a gluten free stolen recipe every where.

Guest AutumnE

Glad to help out :)

I havent tried it yet, we have had a different christmas this year. Basically my parents, sister and her family, and all my inlaws have the gastrointestinal flu that's going around and recuperating they all started the day before christmas, so its been a quiet holiday with only opening with my 2 year old. We havent exchanged with anyone yet and probably wont till this coming weekend and next week. So no holiday parties to bake for either this year :(

• 2 weeks later...
Japsnoet Explorer

I found the bones of the recipe on another celiac site I regularly visit and made a few minor changes. See recipe below.

Yeast Free Christmas Stollen (Preheat to 180C)

I made three Christmas Stollen this year. The 2 favourite Stollen were done with white rice & brown rice flour and the other one was made with white rice & besan flour. Don

Guest AutumnE

Thanks so much for the recipe :)

Im anxious to try it!

Im not sure If I can eat besan flour, I will have to see if its corn free. And replace baking soda for the baking powder.

Archived