Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmy

New And Needing Advice

Just this month, my fiance was diagnosed with celiac. He want on the gluten free diet the day we found out and I am joining him. So far, it has been three weeks on the gluten-free diet.

I do have a few questions though. I've been making our own bread out of rice and soy flour, but the darn dough doesn't want to rise! My last batch was only two inches thick and really chewy. I've tryed to mix the rice and soy flour together and that helped a little, but not much. Any tips? So far all of the batches I've made have bveen half batched. Any advice would be great.

Thank you!

hearts and hugs,

Emmy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Just this month, my fiance was diagnosed with celiac. He want on the gluten free diet the day we found out and I am joining him. So far, it has been three weeks on the gluten-free diet.

I do have a few questions though. I've been making our own bread out of rice and soy flour, but the darn dough doesn't want to rise! My last batch was only two inches thick and really chewy. I've tryed to mix the rice and soy flour together and that helped a little, but not much. Any tips? So far all of the batches I've made have bveen half batched. Any advice would be great.

Thank you!

hearts and hugs,

Emmy

Try this flour combination and see if it helps. Don't forget to use xantham gum.

3 parts white rice flour, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch

Use approx. 1 teaspoon xantham gum per 1-1/2 cup of flour mix.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Guest nini

don't forget that yeast needs a warm quiet place to rise in... I've found different brands of yeast work differently, so you may have to play around with the yeast and find one that is really easy to work with. I like Red Star yeast the best.

the blend that Guhlia recommended is a good all purpose blend. Def. don't forget the xanthan gum too.

Ditto that on Red Star... I have problems with other kinds of yeast. Plus, Red Star labels their yeast gluten free. :)

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Thank you so much! I never even knew that you had to add xantham gum. I'll get some tomorrow and try it out. Thanks again!

~Emmy