This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breakfast-pot Luck Style

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

This week we are having a pot luck breakfast. I need some ideas as to what to take. I really don't want to use a bunch of expensive flour to make muffins for people who don't need gluten free muffins. :P

I am thinking maybe a crustless quiche? Anyone have a great recipe?

Of course other ideas are more than welcome too!! Thanks for your help.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I would think that a crustless quiche would be great. You can use Hillshire sausage, or Jimmy Dean ,cheese, chives (I do love chives), green peppers, mexican peppers........top with sour cream and salsa.......do easy, it's that time of the year. :(

Guest cassidy

Pour-A-Quiche is gluten free. You can add whatever you want to that and it is a good base. It is also fast and easy.

dragonmom Apprentice

No Crust Quich 4oz grated swiss ( or any kind of cheese you like, cheddar works too.) six slices of bacon cooked and crumbled. 1/2 chopped onion sauteed in bacon grease . 1 1/2 c evapodrated milk 4 eggs 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon sugar 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper. Sprinkle 9" pie plate evenly with first 3 ingredients . beat remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour mixture into pie plate Microwave 10 minutes remove let rest 10 minutes. I also add black olives, or you can put in any interesting thing you like. artichoke hearts, mushrooms. It is a great breakfast. I ate it BEFORE I found out I had Celiac . Who Knew. ;) Brenda

Keep those great ideas and recipes comming!! Anyone have a good fritatta recipe?

JenKuz Explorer

I've seen quiches that use grated hashbrowns for a crust. I don't know exactly how it's done; you might need to brown them before laying them in the ramekin to make them crispy...or if you did a large quiche, maybe you could do it in a cast iron skillet that could go right into the oven. Brown the hash, then flip and brown again, then pour in quiche and put in oven. You know, I'll bet you could get an even nicer crust by mixing a little egg in with some mashed potatoes. My mom used to make something like that for breakfast the day after thanksgiving, and I'm sure it would be a delicious crust for quiche.

Here's an example:

Open Original Shared Link

You prebake the hashbrown crust, then pour in the quiche mixture.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Fruit! There's often insufficient fruit at a breakfast potluck, imho. :P And a fruit salad can look very festive depending on how you do it. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Keep the ideas comming..............Mmmmmm

mellajane Explorer

I know you do not want to fuss with flour sbut these are so easy and a huge hit. They dont need frosting because its breakfast... But they make great muffins. You could even eliminate the strawberry.

Strawberry Cr

flagbabyds Collaborator

i would just bring fruit cause then no one can make fun of it because it is 'different' than any other food cause it is gluten-free

i guess this kinda goes away when you get out of the school age children but........

jaten Enthusiast

Or a hash brown casserole. Many of them are naturally gluten free if you use a recipe that doesn't use cream soup of any sort.

Sounds like a great recipe to make for myself sometime!! I'm just not going to spend the money on the expensive flour for people who don't need it :P lol I can't wait to try it for ME though :lol:

I know you do not want to fuss with flour sbut these are so easy and a huge hit. They dont need frosting because its breakfast... But they make great muffins. You could even eliminate the strawberry.

Strawberry Cr

Ok well the pot luck was this morning. I took a ham/mushroom/onion/cheese frittata. It went over GREAT!! Everybody was asking "who made this, it is so good" ha Here is the recipe I used.

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 large russet potatoes, peeled and shredded

1 onion, diced

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or enough to cover top of frittata

12 eggs, beaten

Ham, diced or chunked

1 small can of mushrooms drained

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the potatoes, and fry until crispy and golden, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and add onions. Cook, stirring, until softened. Season with salt and pepper.Add ham and mushrooms. Pour eggs over the potatoes and onions.

Place the skillet in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until eggs are firm. Remove from the oven, and sprinkle shredded cheese over the top. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

OR you can also cook it on the stovetop. This is what I did. Covered the mixture with a lid and cooked until it was set up. Topped with the cheese and let it melt. It turned out great!!

ENJOY!!

Archived