Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

surfgolden

Battered, Fried Seafood

Hi Y'all,

Being a Southern girl, I love my fish and shrimp battered and deep fried. Can anyone recommend a good recipe for a gluten-free batter?

Also, I'm new to this gluten-free world, can someone please tell me if store bought Mayonnaise is gluten-free?

I appreciate any information.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Kraft mayonnaise is gluten free. As always, read labels.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

For frying fish we use the same method as you would regular (with the eggs and flour), but obviously use gluten-free. In place of regular flour we use corn flour. Its amazing. Hope this helps ya!

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

My new favorite is Pamelas pancake mix. I just mix up as directed for pancakes and then add either more water or more mix to get the consistancy I want. FYI it makes the most heavenly onion rings!! My kids have sworn off of regular flour for breading or batter...they have said mine is much better! Yippee!!! The celiacs score on this one!

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005

Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006

Many mayos are gluten free, but the only way to know is to learn what ingredients are/aren't safe and then make your decision that way. If you need help figuring out specific ingredients, post it and we'll help.

Also, make sure that all condiments are "safe"...they cannot be used by people who are making food with gluten. If you are making a not-safe sandwich, and dip the knife back in, then it has bread crumbs in there, so the condiment is no longer safe. Same applies to peanut butter, butter, cream cheese, dips, etc etc etc.

Laura