This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Does It Mean When You Smell A Sauce

babygirl1234

babygirl1234 Rookie

when no one eles does i mean it was very storng and really sour and after they put it away a few hrs later i felt sick to my stomach gassy, could there had been something in it that when it was near me i got sick from it? i mean it had a really bad smell to it, i mean this was the 1st time i smelled something that was a sauce and it was the kind you can have on chicken stir fry and no i didnt eat it i had my own food but it was werid because when i asked my family what that smell was they all though i was crazy because they couldnt smell it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Sometimes that kind of thing happens to me, too. And yes, smells can make me sick. I don't think it's necessarily a celiac issue, but just generally an intolerance/allergy one.

And I've had it often, that I'd comment on some awful, horrible smell, that is so strong it makes me sick. And NOBODY else could smell it and would treat me like I was crazy.

So, even though I don't have real practical advice for you, at least I can tell you that you're not alone, and you're not a freak, there are others who have the same issues.

super-sally888 Contributor

Hi - you're not crazy. I can also get hyperacidity, nausea and feeling ill just from a smell of something....

Sally

plantime Contributor

Some people are more sensitive to certain smells than others are. My daughter thinks I am absolutely nuts: when I am feeling nauseated, I get a pack of watermelon and just smell it. Something about it calms my stomach and my nausea stops. This is why I believe aromatherapy has merit.

Nantzie Collaborator

I've become more sensitive to smells too. I've also found that my taste preferences have changed since going gluten-free too. A lot of the time things taste way too sweet even though I cut the sugar back in the recipe, or an herb that I used to love I can't even stand the smell of anymore.

Nancy

lilmama Apprentice

Smells bother me too. Glad to hear I'm not just losing my mind about smells. When Spaghetti-O are cooked I can't be around or I will puke. In fact we burn candles in order to cover the smell after and durning cooking.

Other food really bother me too but doesnt phase other. I can say its all smells that really bother me do have gluten in them.

babygirl1234 Rookie

atleast i know that im not crazy lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JenKuz Explorer

I've had this happen many times with shrimp. I actually love shrimp...but now and then I'd have it served to me, with the strongest, worst fishy smell, ugh! And I'd think, 'How on earth could any chef let this leave the kitchen?' but no one else could smell it. Finally I figured out that when shrimp hasn't been properly deveined, if any vein is left at all, I can smell it and it makes me want to die, even if no one else can smell it. I guess I'm just sensitive to that smell in particular, cause I have had violent stomach-turnings from rotting crabs at the beach on a couple of occasions. Others could smell it, and thought it was gross, but not worse than any dead-thing smell. For me, it was a thousand times worse than the average squirrel or possum. It really...don't know how to explain it. Made me really sick, and dizzy, and actually ran from the smell to get away.

You know, olfactory receptors vary genetically, and they're really closely related to HLA. So we vary a lot genetically for the smells we're more or less sensitive to, and scent goes straight to the limbic system. So we absolutely can be made to feel sick, or get upset or relaxed or nostalgic or whatever it is just through scent. Pretty cool.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I smell random things all the time when other people can't. Today I was driving to the store and I would have sworn my car smelled like syrup, which is pretty much impossible. I'm also very sensitive to chemicals. There are days at work when I smell chemicals near my desk, and I spend most of the day trying to avoid sitting at my desk because it's making me feel sick. No one else seems to smell the chemicals, just me.

Archived