Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Electra

Ok What Ingrediants Do I Need To Look For On Labels

I've love a whole list but that will be way too overwhelming to me right now so I really need just the basics or most common ones. I know dehydrogonized vegetable protein is one (or so I think) what are some others? Thanks for any help you can give!!

~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995

Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06

Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07

DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07

Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

This is a pretty comprehensive list--

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-15106404194.8a

I know you said "just the basics", but I was afraid I'd leave something out! Hope this one is not too overwhelming :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

that can be one, but you will very rarely see it.

Companies are required by law to list all sources of wheat CLEARLY and list it as an allergen (It would say, "Contains: Wheat" at the bottom of the ingredients.

Wheat (or anything that says wheat in it), enriched wheat flour, flour, malt (malt, malt flavoring, malt extract, etc), barley, barley malt, rye, anything that has beer in it, spelt, ....

Those are some of the main ones.

if it says modified food starch, but doesn't list wheat, then it probably corn starch. If it is made from wheat, it is required to say so. Dextrin, dextrose, maltodextrin, in the US are safe. MSG, although some say it is not good for you, is SAFE in terms of gluten (although glutamate is in the name, it is not gluten).

If you see, by chance, corn gluten...it is safe....but rarely will you see that. It is a different protein entirely.