This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Flours That Make You Sick....

zachsmom

zachsmom Enthusiast

:( Okay what was our final decision on gluten free flours...

I have bobs red mill . DOes it make you guys sick>? I bought the stuff and want to use it for the baby's first sugar cookies but ... am scared . I am afraid that he will get sick .

I know that I proabbly will just have to go and wing it ... but I am scared. I feel like I am walking out to the end of the diving board .. and its really a high one and the water is really really deep.. and I am a little kid ... ahahhahahhahahahahah

DOes bobs red mill make everyone sick? or is it okay... ( yes i know I will have to see... wahhhhhhhh

thanks.... everyone...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Bob's Red Mill has made me sick before, but there are PLENTY of people who have had no reaction at all. I use Kinnikinnick flours as they are processed in a gluten and casein free facility. They also seem to make better baked goods than other flours I've tried. Here's a link to the post I just made with recipes for two types of Christmas cookies. Neither are sugar cookies, but the butter/jam ones would be fine for a tiny one and they're DELICIOUS!!!

Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm so sorry I haven't gotten back to you :ph34r: My parents (who live in another state) called this afternoon, and we chatted for quite a while.

I don't use Bob's Red Mill at all. Their xanthan gum glutened me (I swear it was that--every time I used it, I got sick, it was the common ingredient in several different things that I reacted to). Xanthan gum in other mixes has no effect on me.

Between that, and everything I've read on this board, I am afraid to try anything else by them. Not everyone reacts to their stuff--but a lot of us here seem to.

I stick with Ener-g. I'm sure others will weigh in with what they use. I know that some of Bob's flours are made in separate rooms from the gluten-containing ones. Hopefully someone who has checked into that further will let us know which ones those are.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Sorry I can't help you out. I never buy Bob's Red Mill flours because they are so freaking expensive compared to the flours and starches I can get in the Asian section of the grocery store. I get sweet rice flour, white rice flour, corn flour, cornstarch and tapioca starch from the regular grocery. I get potato starch from the Asian market, and sorghum, brown rice flour and xanthan from the health food store. I make my own mixes or use recipes that call for individual flours rather than a mix.

Good luck. :)

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I use Bob's all the time and have not had any trouble with them. The flours with the gluten-free symbol are produced on dedicated lines in a dedicated facility. Check their website for more info on that. I feel safe using them.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Felidae Enthusiast

I have reacted from Bob's Red Mill. I also buy flours and starches from the asian section in my grocery store and combine them with sorghum flour from the health food store.

arc Newbie

I don't use Bob's Red Mill Baking Mix anymore because of the bean flours in it. I don't seem to tolerate legumes anymore since going gluten-free. Besides, it made the cookies taste like bean sprouts. <_< I like bean sprouts in my salads, not in my chocolate chip cookies. Gross. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

Bob's Red Mill made me feel kinda funky, but it could be b/c I think there are bean flours in it and I don't think I can tolerate those as well as the rice/tapioca/potato starch flours. I really like the gluten-free mix made out of those 3 for baking.

jaten Enthusiast
I don't use Bob's Red Mill at all. Their xanthan gum glutened me (I swear it was that--every time I used it, I got sick, it was the common ingredient in several different things that I reacted to). Xanthan gum in other mixes has no effect on me.

DITTO!!!! I'm sorry for you, but glad I'm not the only one with this exact experience.

I react to other Bob's products....flours, etc. I do eat their Creamy Rice cereal because I've never had a problem with it (but not the same for the Mighty Tasty cereal or whatever).

jerseyangel Proficient
DITTO!!!! I'm sorry for you, but glad I'm not the only one with this exact experience.

I react to other Bob's products....flours, etc. I do eat their Creamy Rice cereal because I've never had a problem with it (but not the same for the Mighty Tasty cereal or whatever).

OMG! You too with the xanthan gum! I sort of thought it was just me--and I've hesitated to mention it. I can use some of the Gluten Free Pantry mixes (some of them don't use tapioca, which I'm sensitive to) that contain xanthan gum, and I never get symptoms from those.

Well, at least we identified the culprit :D

Nothing like paying $12.00 for a small bag of something that makes you sick :angry:

happygirl Collaborator

The main product I use of theirs is their gluten-free flour, and I have done fine with it.

zachsmom Enthusiast

OKAY according to my records here.... Some of you guys are thinking that the BEANS inthe flour mixes are making you sick...... ( Bobs I have to say I question only because of the video the provide on their web site.. I watched it and ended up more confused than thrilled.... ) .... about using the machines and then washing them and then making the gluten free stuff) and if they never used the machines for regular wheat .. wouldnt they not have to worry about the elsia glutne index thingy.... no wheat no reason to measure it in our foods right... Or am i insane?

But if your having a problem with the bobs red mill is it the beans .... or are you guys thinking that its something else.

I am getting this stuff at target and my local publix..... the xanthum gum is at whole foods 10. 99 a bag... But I think the average bag is 5. 79 cents.

But I have a bag and have to use it ... or listen to my husband yell because I spent the money on that and the xanthum gum and .... now I am a big waster.

Guhlia Rising Star

For me it definitely wasn't the beans in the flour mix. I got a VERY gluten-like reaction from the flour. I have no other intolerances. I stay far away from Bob's products because I think they have a real cross-contamination issue there. Just my opinion. Not worth the risk for me.

jaten Enthusiast
OMG! You too with the xanthan gum! I sort of thought it was just me--and I've hesitated to mention it.

I know what you mean...I didn't mention it either because I react to many products that others here are fine with, but my eyes popped wide when I read your post. I have no problems with xanthan gum in any other circumstance but I have been sick every time I've added Bob's xanthan gum to anything I make. Like you, I tried it various ways multiple times. Bob's Red Mill xanthan gum is the only ingredient that was present each and every time I got sick from my own baking. (I stopped using his flours almost as soon as I started using them, but I had this $10.99 bag of xan gum I wanted to be able to use. Gave it up.)

I can use some of the Gluten Free Pantry mixes (some of them don't use tapioca, which I'm sensitive to) that contain xanthan gum, and I never get symptoms from those.

Well, at least we identified the culprit :D

Nothing like paying $12.00 for a small bag of something that makes you sick :angry:

Unfortunately, I am the proverbial canary in the gluten mine; I am, however, extremely fortunate to not have sensitivities to other starches....have to be very easy on cassein and soy, but I'm good with legumes, other starches, etc. Poor you! :( I love tapioca starch/flour.

Hehehe...yeah, if it had cost less, it wouldn't have been so hard to let go. But you can't even give the stuff away to gluten consumers...they don't need xanthan gum <_<

To the person who asked if it was the bean flour in Bob's, in my case, definitely not.

zachsmom Enthusiast

Okay I lost my last board message... But I do have a question.... how to make a better tasting flour mixture... I am guessing that it is a personal taste...... BUT

OH GOD I feel like throwing up. I made the land of lakes sugar cookies for gluten free .. using bobs mill. and the xanthum gum.... tasted the dough .... I have this after taste..... what is it.... It is so gross. god what an awful taste.... uck uck uck .... its like I want to brush my tongue off with sandpaper.

So whats a almost normal tasting mixture. Bobs seem so gross. or is it the xanthum gum giving it that funky taste. I am thinking its the bean ....... whats everyones educated guess....

its got potato starch ... flava bean garbonzo bean.. sorghum flour.... tapioca flour... uck.

So ... back to the drawing board.

Whats the vote....

Go back to the store and get a new brand kinikinnick ... enr-g

Find a new formulation that I make on my own.. ( okay some one here's recipie)

sit an cry. ) lol I have allready done that ....

Guhlia Rising Star
Okay I lost my last board message... But I do have a question.... how to make a better tasting flour mixture... I am guessing that it is a personal taste...... BUT

OH GOD I feel like throwing up. I made the land of lakes sugar cookies for gluten free .. using bobs mill. and the xanthum gum.... tasted the dough .... I have this after taste..... what is it.... It is so gross. god what an awful taste.... uck uck uck .... its like I want to brush my tongue off with sandpaper.

So whats a almost normal tasting mixture. Bobs seem so gross. or is it the xanthum gum giving it that funky taste. I am thinking its the bean ....... whats everyones educated guess....

its got potato starch ... flava bean garbonzo bean.. sorghum flour.... tapioca flour... uck.

Whats the vote....

It's the bean flour. I find bean flour repulsive. I use Kinnikinnick flours and they work and taste almost exactly like all-purpose white flour. 2 parts white rice, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch... Add 1 teaspoon xantham gum per cup of flour. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Everything I've made with this flour blend has been amazing.

arc Newbie

That is the bean sprout after-taste that I mentioned. It's gross and you'll burp it for hours.

We just re-made cookies with a mix made from 3 cups of sorghum, 1 cup potato starch, 1/2 cup tapioca starch, with 1 tsp of xanthum gum. They were pretty good. We used the Bob's Red Mill version of all of those because that is our only option here, with no gluten effects yet.

wolfie Enthusiast

Definitely the bean flour. I second the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour mix and xanthan gum! Yummy stuff!!

Kibbie Contributor
:( Okay what was our final decision on gluten free flours...

I have bobs red mill . DOes it make you guys sick>? I bought the stuff and want to use it for the baby's first sugar cookies but ... am scared . I am afraid that he will get sick .

I know that I proabbly will just have to go and wing it ... but I am scared. I feel like I am walking out to the end of the diving board .. and its really a high one and the water is really really deep.. and I am a little kid ... ahahhahahhahahahahah

DOes bobs red mill make everyone sick? or is it okay... ( yes i know I will have to see... wahhhhhhhh

thanks.... everyone...

Not that it will help now but I use Tom Sawyer Flour and its great!

I also use the Feather light mix a lot

1 cup rice flour

1 cup tapioca flour

1 cup corn starch

1 tbs potato flour

GlutenFreeGirlie Rookie

Well, not that it matters, but we haven't ever had a problem with Bob's flour mix. I wonder if there are other allergies that cause a reaction. We use his stuff all the time and haven't ever had a problem. It seems to me that some people are drastically more sensitive than others.

Guhlia Rising Star
Well, not that it matters, but we haven't ever had a problem with Bob's flour mix. I wonder if there are other allergies that cause a reaction. We use his stuff all the time and haven't ever had a problem. It seems to me that some people are drastically more sensitive than others.

I'm not sensitive to any other ingredients and have tried all of them. I have never gotten sick from any of them, but I did get sick from Bob's Red Mill.

Generic Apprentice

I haven't gotten sick from Bob's flour, but it tastes terrible. Garbanzo bean flour is just gross imo.

-Laurie

miamia Rookie

I can't use bobs flour mix becaus eof the beans but I do use their millet flour and their teff flour without a problem. I use the betty hagman all purpose mix it seems to be the only one without xanthum gum - which I don';t react well to.

Miamia

kolka Explorer

RE: KINNIKINNIK FLOUR MIX

Do you really need a teaspoon of xanthan per cup of this mix? I thought that I read in a few different places that you need only a half tsp of xanthan per cup of any gluten-free mix. Or is it that each mix needs different amounts of xanthan?

Also, how do I 'permanently' sign in? A couple of weeks ago the board was down for a day for servicing. Since then, I have had to sign in the long way. Before that, I could just bring up the site and I'd be automatically signed in. What have I done that's wrong/different?

hockeymom Newbie

Whats the vote....

Archived