Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e&j0304

Ttg Question

My friend's son has been dealing with issues likely related to a gluten intolerance for many years. He had some incompetent doctors initially who ran the wrong tests and told him he did not have celiac. She put him on a gluten-free diet anyway and he got much better, but is still not 100%. He is still dealing with almost daily stomach pains and occasional very painful mouth sores. He also complains of chest pain due to reflux.

He finally got the right testing done after 4 months on a gluten free diet because his current dr. who is very informed about celiac still wantd to have them run. I believe she said his TTG was 8.4 and the range for positive stared at a 7.

Is TTG specific to celiac or could it indicate anything else? She is concerned that he may have Crohn's Disease. The hospital that he is going to wants him back on gluten for 2 months before they will scope him. She is unsure about what she is going to do about that. My friend is concerned that her little boy may have something else going on since she has been VERY careful about the diet and he is still sick.

Also, I recently heard that there is a cut-off of 2 for a TTG in children ages 0-1. Has anyone else heard that? I know all labs are different, but from what I've read the general cut-off for a positive TTG is 7. I'm just wondering about my own kids levels since our doctors we had at the time were idiots.

Anyway, thanks for any help. She is stressing herself out over all of this and could use some advice.

Oh, please excuse the hairloss picture in my avatar! I had it on there because I posted a question another thread about thyroid and celiac and wanted some opinions!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If his ttg is still positive after 4 months gluten-free, I would say there is no doubt that he has a problem with gluten. If they want to do the scope to check for Crohn's, eating gluten shouldn't matter for that. Why make the kid miserable and put him back on gluten for that? He is obvously doing better gluten-free. As to why he is still not feeling 100%.....it can take a while (1-2 years) to heal completely; he may have some other food sensitivities (lactose, soy, etc); or maye he does have Crohn's or some other digestive issue.

My son's ttg was 222. He did still have the scope b/c I knew well enough at that point that he couldn't go gluten-free until after the scope b/c of the way I found out about myself & gluten. Obviously his biopsy came back positive. He still does have some stomach issues every now & then. Not sure if he was accidentally glutened or whether he is just still healing. We are repeating his bloodwork at a follow-up in January.

Good luck to your friend & her son.

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

If his ttg is still positive after 4 months gluten-free, I would say there is no doubt that he has a problem with gluten. If they want to do the scope to check for Crohn's, eating gluten shouldn't matter for that. Why make the kid miserable and put him back on gluten for that? He is obvously doing better gluten-free. As to why he is still not feeling 100%.....it can take a while (1-2 years) to heal completely; he may have some other food sensitivities (lactose, soy, etc); or maye he does have Crohn's or some other digestive issue.

My son's ttg was 222. He did still have the scope b/c I knew well enough at that point that he couldn't go gluten-free until after the scope b/c of the way I found out about myself & gluten. Obviously his biopsy came back positive. He still does have some stomach issues every now & then. Not sure if he was accidentally glutened or whether he is just still healing. We are repeating his bloodwork at a follow-up in January.

Good luck to your friend & her son.

My daughters Ttg was 80 and the normal for the lab is <20. Havn't had the follow up blood work yet due to 3 cheerios she ate.

Nicole- 3 yrs old Positive Celiac Blood test- 6/21/2006 //// Normal result: <20,,,Nicole-80

Positive Biopsy for Celiac- 7/17/2006

Gluten-Free Since - 7/22/2006

Alivia- 7 years- old Positive Celiac blood test-Aug. 2006////Normal result:<4,,,Alivia-32.

Biopsy showed positive for Celiac Disease and moderate to severe damage (Blood Work for both girls were done in different labs that is why they are different)

Gluten free since:Dec.2006

I just saw my daughters pediatric GI who specializes in Celiac. She said normal TTg is <20. My daughter was dx on 10/31/06 by blood and biopsy. Her TTg level was 480. Her endoscopy showed significant damage to the small intestine. She just turned 3 on 12/10. We had her tested at 14 months and just 6 months ago and those times were negative.

my kids have been testing by labs that use 20 as the cut off point and also by labs that use 7 as the cut off point. my kids levels were fairly low----i assume we caught the celiac early. the highest TTG one of my girls has had was when she was in the hospital for 3 months and a dietician was working with her-----she assured me they knew what they were doing. HAH!!

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene