Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amybeth

Need To Make Mom's Roast gluten-free

My mom's Christmas Roast Beef is a common recipe, but I've had no luck finding a CONDENSED cream of mushroom soup - and don't know how to convert the recipe using Non-condensed. Please help!

It's a basic recipe in which you take the roast, wrap in foil, cover/rub with dry onion soup mix, and condensed cream of mushroom soup and then bake.

Any pointers/suggestions/success in converting this recipe?

Thanks - Happy Holidays!

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Some people have apparently had some problems with certain Progresso soups, but I have not had any trouble with this one (and I am an EXTREMELY sensitive Celiac-I react at every gluten-free restaurant!!!). Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup is gluten free....it is not condensed, but it is pretty creamy. I heat it on low and add gluten free flour to thicken it. Then, use as normal. We had Christmas at my house with my parents last night, and my mom made a casserole with it. We use it in everything! Green bean casserole, too. Last night's casserole was potatoes, ham, cheese, sour cream, c of m soup, etc. Delicious!

I hope this helps!

http://www.gfutah.org/recipes/Condensed%20Cream%20Soup.html

There's a link to a gluten-free condensed soup recipe. Disclaimer: I have never tried this, but I know other people have had great success with it.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

I never could find the Progresso cream of chicken soup so I tried the recipe for "Cream of anything soup" from the site that Linda posted and it was great. I made cream of mushroom to use in a cassrole and my husband liked it too. It was easy to make and didn't take long.

Elaine

I made a roux (cook a coupel tblsp of butter w/ rice flour) and then put the Progresso cream of mushroom soup in to cook for a bit, it turned out pretty good.

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

Due to a dairy allergy, we can't do cream soups. However I have come up with a suitable substitute that I have used for casseroles so it would probably work for roast as well.

I don't really measure stuff. I just keep adding and tasting until it seems right. I start with a few handfuls of dried mushrooms that have been reconstituted in hot water. The dried ones seem to be necessary for best flavor. I then take those plus the water they were soaking in, plus a few handfuls of fresh mushrooms (I use an assortment of varieties) and put it all in the food processor until the mushrooms are in tiny bits. My food processor tends to throw some of the liquid out so I wrap it in paper towels as I do this. Sometimes I add some celery to this mix if I have some extra.

I then transfer the mixture to a deep skillet, add a bit of olive oil and a bit of sweet rice flour and cook until thick. I add more sweet rice flour if needed. Season with salt, pepper and a bit of parsley. I suppose you could add some milk or cream to this for better flavor.