Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jane2007

Hi New Here - Wondering About Diagnosis

Hi all

I am new to this forum and new to a realisation I may be suffering some form of Celiac Symptoms - My history is complicated though, I have always suffered from heartburn and live on antacids, I have diahrea most mornings, and get stomach bloating and cramps - I have been told I had IBS in the past - I am Asthmatic and 4 years ago was diagnosed with Pulmonary Sarcoidosis also an autoimmune disorder. ( which has thankfully cleared up) About 8 years ago I was told I had perncious Anemia and take regular shots of Vit B12 - In the last few years I have noticed the stomach symptoms increasing and my hair is getting thinner and thinner - I am not underweight though quite the opposite after years of steriod medication.

I did have a colonoscope about 8 years ago they were looking for Helicobacter - but they couldn't finish the procedure because I kicked and punched every nurse and Doctor away from me, eventhough I was sedated I think it was because being an Asthmatic I couldn't bear the choking feeling -

I have had tests for overactive Tyroid recently all came back clear - I fear another scope into my tummy, eventhough because of my lung problems I have had two bronchoscopes without any problems. The only other question I have is could you really reach 38 years of age without knowing your were celiac?

It is good to know you are here and I will keep you posted.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, as Richard said, it's very possible to only realize you have Celiac Disease later in life. There are many with the disease that never realize they have a problem. If you're really worried about going through another endoscope, you could always skip it and just try the gluten free diet. I never had the scope, though I did have positive bloodwork, and I'm certain that I have Celiac Disease. There isn't a doubt in my mind. I'm glad I didn't put myself through the scope. If they wouldn't have found damage, then I probably would have continued to be in denial and I would probably still be eating gluten to this day.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Hi..I was diagnosed age 50. The average age at diagnosis now is 46 years(!)..+/- 10 years!

Unfortunately American physicians are still unlikely to think of this diagnosis, and only diagnose about 1 in 5000....... :o . So it is very possible to live 38 years and not get "officially"diagnosed.

Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003

Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003

Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

At 22, I feel like one of the lucky ones. Doctors are horrible at diagnosing celiac disease. Even gastroenterologists are clueless. If you want an official diagnosis, talk with your doctor and schedule a celiac panel and a biopsy. If the panel comes back negative, the doctor probably won't want to do the biopsy. But you can still have celiac disease with negative test results, so don't let negative results discourage you. If you don't care about having a diagnosis, just go ahead and try to diet. If it helps, you will know that gluten was the cause of your problems. Good luck.

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present