Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KatieMae

Newbie Needs Some Guidence

Good evening, I was diagnosed in late October with Celiac. I am feeling so much better on the gluten free diet and have managed to put on about 10 pounds, I no longer look "gaunt"; thank goodness as I was really getting sick of hearing that from everyone I know. In any case, the diet has not been a problem for my husband & I as we have been "whole foods" cooks/eaters for years, never using prepared foods, frozen dinners... I was a beer drinker, pasta about 2x week and so on, never been a real bread fan so I really don't feel like my lifestyle has undergone the huge change alot of others I have been reading about. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to ask the question so perhaps you can guide me if I'm wrong. Why is aged cheese ok but not others? I do love the soft spreadable cheeses like Brie and Chevre are they ok?

Thanks this site has been a real help to me and I look forward to participating!

KatieMae:

First a welcome into our world. I hope that you have been reading from some of our posts. They are quite informative.

The celiac diet can be a frustrating experience; bread, soy sauce, envelopes, salad dressing, tooth paste, lotions, shampoo, lipstick and the list continues.

To answer your specific question, most cheeses are gluten free. But to put your mind at easy, most companies have a www. site that you can write, or even call on a 1-800 number.

I enjoy cheese fairly liberally with not much worry.

First, welcome to the forum.

Re: cheese

I can no longer have dairy so I'm not reading labels on cheeses these days. I would assume that the problem may be in cheese spreads and whether or not they use wheat or other gluten ingredients to make it soft. Some cheeses are naturally soft and spreadable, though.