This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Checking Levels

barilla

barilla Explorer

Hi,, I was wondering if anyone else had a primary doctor like mine...

He won't check my Igg and Iga levels agian to see if they went down. I've been gluten-free since May 1st 06 and I am curious to see if the levels went down. He says he doesn't test them again. Then the last two visits I've been to I've asked him to check my vitamin/minerals just in case I have any deficiencies. He will only check my B12 and Folate. He says he won't need to check the others, just to take a multivitamin. He is also very clueless with celiac disease.

why can't I get any answers?? Should I switch doctors? He never seems to listen to me. He talks right over me and pushes me out the door.

Sorry to be negative sounding,, I just need to vent a little.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Yeah, sounds like you need a new doctor. Having one talk over you and not listen is not good. Very not good. Try to get a referral from someone who really likes their doctor.

Guhlia Rising Star

I would probably sit down with your doctor and explain that you don't feel as though you're getting the care that you deserve. Perhaps present him with some papers on Celiac so he can better educate himself. If he's not willing to work with you, then I would start looking for another doctor. Often though, doctors are so rushed that they don't realize that they're not being helpful, especially if you're not good at being pushy. I would give him the chance to make things right, but certainly don't let him refuse you the testing that you feel as though you should have. Your health is far too important to let him brush you off like that.

SillyBoo Newbie

If the previous suggestion doesn't work, I would seriously consider changing doctors. If this doctor isn't listening to you, what else is he missing? Once I finally realized that my symptoms were serious enough to share with my doctor, she investigated all sorts of things. She's the one who suspected Celiac, not me, despite the fact that my primary symptoms were not digestive at all. I was dealing with chronic fatigue and brain fog, and thought I had some sort of recurring viral crud. Had she not really listened, and really trusted what I told her, I probably would have been sent out the door without such a thorough investigation.

I haven't had any follow-up tests yet (only 2 months gluten-free), but I feel certain that getting them won't be an issue. You shouldn't have to fight so hard to get decent care.

Sophiekins Rookie

Conventional standard of care (at least in Canada and the UK) dictates IgA and IgG follow-up testing every 6 months for the first two years to quantify adherence to the gluten-free diet, and further testing after this time in case of unexplained symptoms. At the same time as the celiac panel, standard panels checking blood glucose, iron, thyroid function, and B vitamin absorption should be run to track intestinal healing. After the initial two years, your blood glucose and thyroid function need to be checked at least annually because of increased risk of thyroid disease and diabetes. Point out to your doctor that celiac disease, because of its many symptoms, can be difficult to diagnose and that repeated bloodwork (just like the repeated biopsies that used to be the gold standard) is the best way to ensure that the diagnosis was correct and that the patient is responding to treatment. If he still won't test you, gently point out that if it isn't working and you get sick, you will have an excellent case for malpractice. Then get the tests (and copies of your records!) and take yourself to a new doctor. If you're brave enough, you could also report him to your state or provincial medical board for malpractice investigation. . .

Archived