Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it possible to get diagnosed without a positive biopsy? Back in May 06 I was tested for celiac disease. My levels were really high. So I went gluten free because the nurse on the phone said to eliminate gluten from my diet. I felt a lot better,, then my GI has me get a biopsy done knowing I've been gluten free. He asked if I could go back to eating gluten and I said No, that I feel much better without it. And the thoughts of going through all the pains and D.again,, forget it! He still wanted me to get the biopsy. So i did and my results came back negative. So my question is: Is there any other way to get a diagnose without have to go back to eating gluten?

I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest Villanfam

Just ask them to run the same blood tests and see if your levels are lower, now that you are gluten-free.

Just ask them to run the same blood tests and see if your levels are lower, now that you are gluten-free.

I've asked my doctor the last two times I saw him if he could check my levels and he won't. He says he doesn't check them again.

I think I need a new doctor!

If you had positive Celiac test results then you have Celiac. There aren't false positives, just false negatives. In addition, you stated that your health improved greatly. This is diagnostic proof in itself.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I was diagnosed based on the blood test (Gliadin IGA 106, normal is <25), my debilitating symptoms, and positive response to the gluten-free diet. My doctor didn't think the biopsy was necessary - she also knew that I didn't need biopsy results to convince me to stick with the diet. Yup, maybe a new doc is a good idea.

Guest Villanfam

Yeah it sounds like you do need a new Doctor, but if you are telling him point blank "Run the tests again." he has to. If you went in there and said "I think I have leukemia/an ulcer/strep throat/GERD/whatever, test me for it." He doesn't have to agree with you, he just has to do it. It's not like you are making an unreasonable request. He is working for you, remember that. I'd still look into getting a new Doc though :P

Why do you need a diagnosis? For many of us, being diagnosed with celiac can mean never getting life insurance, having trouble being covered when switching medical insurance companies, etc.

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

You have two valid, positive tests (the dietary challenge is one of them), and one invalid negative test. IMHO, you should listen to your body. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA