Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sal

To Be Gluten Free Or Not?

Many people here have noticed that, even thought they did not have obvious digestive problems before going off gluten, they did have them when they tried to go back on. Hmmmm....

really?? Ok, let me get this straight.. is a gluten-free diet healthier for everybody in general? Or just people with possible sensitivity to it? I have to admit I was feeling a little down today, which I heard was a possible side effect.. I'm gonna give it time and see how I feel. I'm starting to regret going off gluten.

Thank you for your input again! :)

Good luck with it all, i'm so jelous that you'll be eating real pizza... but the gluten free pizza is pretty good too!!!

It was just one cheat meal.. but it was good! lol :) It was amazing especially because I've been gluten-free and dairy-free.. I killed two birds with one stone on that meal.. hehe.. But although I'll be back on gluten, training starts again in the new year and no more pizza's for me... :(

maybe sweat is aggrevating everything, do you wear underarmor when you go to the gym?? or a sweatshirt? maybe its not letting your body "breathe" and it's keeping the sweat in?

I've actually recently started wearing that type of material. I'll definitely agree that sweat is aggravating it..

i had bad skin when i was teen (hopefully have grown out of it) but get occassionaly break outs- chlorine, the sun, and swimming in the ocean always helped me... were the meds you in gluten free? did you have a DH test done??

let me know how things are going!

I haven't taken any meds for a long time, so I didn't have to worry about that. I haven't had a DH (Dermatitis herpetiformis ??) test done, but after reading the symptoms it didn't really seem to apply to me.

Thanks for your input Katie, much appreciated :)

really?? Ok, let me get this straight.. is a gluten-free diet healthier for everybody in general? Or just people with possible sensitivity to it? I have to admit I was feeling a little down today, which I heard was a possible side effect.. I'm gonna give it time and see how I feel. I'm starting to regret going off gluten.

Thank you for your input again! :)

Well, the guy who wrote the paleo diet thinks grains are evil for a variety of reasons. His newsletter probably describes why: http://thepaleodiet.com/newsletter/back_issues.shtml

Day 2 of being back on gluten. In pain, and having cramps and "D". I NEVER had these problems before going off gluten. What did I do to myself? :(

Yeah, sadly on an elimination diet, it is usually the coming back onto the problematic food that you realize what your body doesn't like.

It's like having an allergy to a cat and living with one. You may have all sorts of the long-term affects of allergies (sinus infections, fatigue, general inflammation, asthma, etc.) but you don't get the huge red puffy eyes and sneezing attacks every time the cat shows up. But stop living with a cat, and the next time you're around one, you're likely to have a big, immediate allergic reaction. Your overall health is better for not having the cat around, but your reaction to cats seems to be much stronger.

Yeah, sadly on an elimination diet, it is usually the coming back onto the problematic food that you realize what your body doesn't like.

It's like having an allergy to a cat and living with one. You may have all sorts of the long-term affects of allergies (sinus infections, fatigue, general inflammation, asthma, etc.) but you don't get the huge red puffy eyes and sneezing attacks every time the cat shows up. But stop living with a cat, and the next time you're around one, you're likely to have a big, immediate allergic reaction. Your overall health is better for not having the cat around, but your reaction to cats seems to be much stronger.

So what do I do? Let my body get used to it, or get off gluten again (for good)?

Do these symptoms I'm getting now PROVE a gluten sensitivity?

Hi portgirl,

Actually I've been dairy free also but it hasn't helped. Maybe because I'm a guy I don't have these hormone problems??

That's very possible! I did also notice that dairy started making me sick, so I wouldn't doubt that I wasn't digesting it properly, which led to acne. Perhaps you're not digesting another food group properly leading to your acne.

So what do I do? Let my body get used to it, or get off gluten again (for good)?

Do these symptoms I'm getting now PROVE a gluten sensitivity?

Hmmm... that's largely up to you and your determination of whether the diet is worth it for you, both long and short-term. It does seem to prove a sensitivity. Many people will go off of gluten and then go back on it with no reactions or side effects whatsoever

Hello all..

It's been almost a week since I did my personal gluten test (eating pizza), and my stomach still doesn't feel 100%. Any clue how long it takes to feel better after being "glutened"?

Thanks,

Sal