Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

missy'smom

Help! First Time

How do I go about the whole gluten free meds thing? I think I have a bladder infection. We moved and I haven't been through this with previous Dr. I don't have a GP here yet. A fellow celiac recommended an internal Med. dr. but don't know if I can go to him with something like this, it seems he deals with more serious things and is hard to get in to(I may try to get in for other things though). May have to go to someone I pick out of the phone book. Do I just go in as usual and take it up with the pharmacy? What if the Dr. has no clue? Do I research the specific medicine ahead of time? I suppose I could call and ask what they might prescribe and then research it. This last thought sounds a little odd but I'm just trying to think this through. Thanks in advance for your help.

When you go to the doctor mention to him/her that you have celiac disease and let the doc know that you have to have gluten-free medication. The doctors usually dont know most of the time if the medicine they are prescribing has gluten in it, so you always need to check with the pharamcy. When I go to the doctor I always mention to him that I need gluten-free medication and he usually says to check with the pharamcy and if theres a problem, then the pharmacy needs to call him to get me a different medication. Hope that helps good luck!

Normally your pharmacy knows more about what your meds contain than your doctor.

Here in Canada the pharmacy keeps a huge book with all the ingredients in it. If it is a relatively new med, they phone the company.

But I always check with the pharmacy first, and they have it right on the computer to check for me when ever I get a new med. from the doctor.

I call my dh from the dr.'s office, and have him google the medication, so that I don't leave with something I can't have. I've found that pharmacists are rarely equipped to answer this question, especially if it's not during the manufacturer's business hours. Sometimes the doc thinks I'm goofy, but hey--it's not the first time!

hth,

Tree

How do I go about the whole gluten free meds thing? I think I have a bladder infection. We moved and I haven't been through this with previous Dr. I don't have a GP here yet. A fellow celiac recommended an internal Med. dr. but don't know if I can go to him with something like this, it seems he deals with more serious things and is hard to get in to(I may try to get in for other things though). May have to go to someone I pick out of the phone book. Do I just go in as usual and take it up with the pharmacy? What if the Dr. has no clue? Do I research the specific medicine ahead of time? I suppose I could call and ask what they might prescribe and then research it. This last thought sounds a little odd but I'm just trying to think this through. Thanks in advance for your help.