This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Possible Celiac?

vampella

vampella Contributor

Hi,

My daughter has Celiac Disease and I was screened when we thought she might because a lot of members of my family have it. My results were aparently NEG.

As I learn more I keep wondering if I might have celiac disease.

I have symptoms that might be celiac disease but could be anything.

Constipation (all my life)

I'm always feeling very ill like I could throw up

headaches(daily)

I sometimes get numbness and tingling in my legs.

I'm so tired & I have animea

Should I tell my DR I want to be re-tested or should I go gluten-free?

I am thinking about going gluten-free but I also know it can take a long time to see results if I do have celiac disease.

I just don't want to do the diet to find out that I don't have celiac disease and we still don't know why I always feel so bad.

So get re-tested or go gluten-free???

Thanks

Char

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

My suggestion would be to just try the gluten-free diet. All your symptoms could be caused by gluten intolerance (doesn't have to be celiac disease, which is why you might have tested negative). Anemia is a typical celiac disease symptom, as are nausea, headaches, neuropathy (the tingling and numbness in your legs), as well as constipation (celiac disease can cause constipation as well as diarrhea), and the fatigue.

You never know how fast you'll feel better. Some of my symptoms started clearing up the day after I went gluten-free.

You might want to make your house gluten-free, and just cook foods that are gluten-free for supper, too. It would make things easier for you, and safer for Emmah, too.

GlutenWrangler Contributor

Char,

You have nothing to lose by going gluten-free, but you also have nothing to lose being re-tested. I mean, you don't want to spend the rest of your life on a diet that isn't necessary. If I were you, I would have my doctor test me. If that came back negative, I would get tested through Enterolab. Enterolab would definitely be able to tell you if you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, since their testing method is more sensitive. But that's just my opinion. Do what you feel is best. I hope you find the cause of your symptoms. Good luck.

-Brian

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Nedast replied to Larzipan's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Has anyone had terrible TMJ/ Jaw Pain from undiagnosed Celiac?

2. - Safetypr replied to Julie Riordan's topic in Traveling with Celiac Disease

Any ideas for travelling

3. - trents replied to Hannah2907's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Allergy test results

4. - Hannah2907 replied to Hannah2907's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Allergy test results

5. - Scott Adams replied to Hannah2907's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Allergy test results

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

dulce
    Newest Member
    dulce
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nedast
      @Scott Adams She may not have any damage to the joint tissue, or only slight damage. In any case, if it healed or was minimal enough not to cause permanent symptoms, she is lucky. Joints don't tend to heal well, especially with more than very minor damage. When the cartilage is gone, it's gone. My tempromandibular joint won't be recovering from this, that is for sure. I have a similar experience to OP, in wondering what my life would have been like if I had found out the cause of my suffering much sooner. Joint damage isn't the only *potential* oral symptom that I have. The dental enamel on my two front teeth never completely formed, so they have been crowned since I was about 7 years old. Since everything that has ever been wrong with me physically and mentally seems to me to be connected to this one issue, I researched "dental enamel" with "celiac disease," and found out that improperly formed dental enamel on emerging adult teeth is a very telltale sign of celiac disease in childhood. It is such a telltale sign, in fact, that the EU has medical policy in place that attempts to ensure that children with dental enamel defects are referred by their dendist to a doctor, to be screened for celiac disease. This association and the resultant policy has been known and in place in the EU since the 90s. It is now the 2020s, and America still does not have anything like this. Dentists here are completely unaware of oral signs of celiac disease. If our medical organizations had followed the EU, I could have been spared 10-15 years of suffering and the diminshed life quality and expenses that are still to come.
    • Safetypr
      I was diagnosed with celiac 19 years ago and have traveled globally. For Portugal - carry a written, translated statement (in Portuguese) that advises you have celiac disease and cannot eat gluten. Carry French translation for France. No wheat, rye or barley. I would select grilled or baked meat - ask the grill to be cleaned. Steamed veggies- no sauce. No soy sauce. No vinegars unless you know what kind. I carry gluten free bars. Eat fruit and nuts as snacks. Do - choose gluten free restaurants. It’s easier.  Always verify. Some restaurants add pancake batter to omelettes or crackers to hamburgers. Avoid French fries (tossed in flour and high risk of cross contamination in oil).  Do not drink beer - select Bulmers,Stella Artois or Angry Orchid - hard apple cider or wine. Avoid ice cream - often contains flour. I generally avoid desserts.  If you order a gluten free pizza - do not let servers put a regular pizza on top. Do not use the same pizza cutter or server. I avoided most appetizers. Fresh fruit makes a great dessert.  Or, I stop at a grocery and buy gluten free desserts and breakfast bars. Do not trust morning buffets. Hope this helps. Europe is easier than U.S. if you call ahead to verify they accommodate gluten free. If they say no, find a different restaurant. 
    • trents
      Keep in mind, Hannah, that of you are on a gluten free diet and want to get tested for celiac disease, any testing would be invalid until you were back on generous amounts of gluten for weeks/months.
    • Hannah2907
      Hi, the test I did was an online one with list of positive feedback. I initially did the test as I thought I may be lactose intolerant but with the results showing high sensitivity to gluten as well as dairy I thought I’d just ask for foods that may benefit me and my symptoms as well as follow these results up with a blood test with my doctors. It doesn’t specify coeliac, it just showed a very high sensitivity to gluten
    • Scott Adams
      Also, I've not heard of any legitimate allergy tests which use hair samples, certainly there is no test for celiac disease which uses a hair sample. Are you sure your tests are legitimate?