Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vampella

Possible Celiac?

Hi,

My daughter has Celiac Disease and I was screened when we thought she might because a lot of members of my family have it. My results were aparently NEG.

As I learn more I keep wondering if I might have celiac disease.

I have symptoms that might be celiac disease but could be anything.

Constipation (all my life)

I'm always feeling very ill like I could throw up

headaches(daily)

I sometimes get numbness and tingling in my legs.

I'm so tired & I have animea

Should I tell my DR I want to be re-tested or should I go gluten-free?

I am thinking about going gluten-free but I also know it can take a long time to see results if I do have celiac disease.

I just don't want to do the diet to find out that I don't have celiac disease and we still don't know why I always feel so bad.

So get re-tested or go gluten-free???

Thanks

Char

Char

Emmah 4 years- Celiac , gluten-free October 2006

Leigh-Ann 7 Years- Gluten lite

Gary- possible celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My suggestion would be to just try the gluten-free diet. All your symptoms could be caused by gluten intolerance (doesn't have to be celiac disease, which is why you might have tested negative). Anemia is a typical celiac disease symptom, as are nausea, headaches, neuropathy (the tingling and numbness in your legs), as well as constipation (celiac disease can cause constipation as well as diarrhea), and the fatigue.

You never know how fast you'll feel better. Some of my symptoms started clearing up the day after I went gluten-free.

You might want to make your house gluten-free, and just cook foods that are gluten-free for supper, too. It would make things easier for you, and safer for Emmah, too.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Char,

You have nothing to lose by going gluten-free, but you also have nothing to lose being re-tested. I mean, you don't want to spend the rest of your life on a diet that isn't necessary. If I were you, I would have my doctor test me. If that came back negative, I would get tested through Enterolab. Enterolab would definitely be able to tell you if you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, since their testing method is more sensitive. But that's just my opinion. Do what you feel is best. I hope you find the cause of your symptoms. Good luck.

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present