This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tarnalberry's Wild & Brown Rice Stuffing Is Awesome!

jukie

jukie Rookie

Thank you so much, Tiffany...your stuffing recipe ROCKS!!! After having a "bread" stuffing disaster at Thanksgiving, I decided to try something different for Christmas. Not only was it a success, but my husband loved it even more than his mother's and grandmother's, which is something I never expected to accomplish in this lifetime :P And as an added bonus, it tasted even better the second day so it could definitely be made a day in advance of the big meal...hooray!!!

Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Where is the recipe?

jukie Rookie

Sorry...here it is:

Brown and Wild Rice Savory Mushroom Stuffing

Ingredients

-----------

1 cup Lundberg Farms Wild Blend Rice (you can substitute brown rice, or your own mix of brown and wild rice, but this mix works best of the variations I've tried so far, definitely do not do all white rice)

1/3 cup arborio rice (risotto)

3 medium carrots

3 stalks celery

1 medium onion

2/3 pound mushrooms (chanterelles are very good here, as are cremini's (or portabellos), plain white wouldn't be the same)

3 tbsp olive oil

4 cups (or more) chicken or vegetable broth

2 tsp italian spices (or 1/2 tsp each basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground sage

1/4 tsp majoram

pinch cumin (optional)

Directions

----------

1. Finely dice the carrots, celery, onion, and mushroom.

2. Heat a 6 quart (or so) pot on the stove, then add the olive oil.

3. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and mushroom, and stir to coat.

4. Continue cooking, on medium high heat, stirring often, until the onions turn transluscent.

5. Add the rices, and stir to coat further, for a minute or so.

6. Add enough broth to just cover the ingredients, and turn down to a simmer.

7. Continue to cook just like risotto - stirring almost continuously (no less than every three or four minutes), and adding broth, a half cup at a time.

8. After 30 minutes, add the spices.

9. Continue adding broth, even after the four cups, if the rice is not done, but is very thick and needs more liquid to keep from burning at the bottom. And keep stirring!

10. When the rice is cooked through, turn off the heat and serve.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm glad you liked it! It does make some tasty leftovers. :)

Archived