Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

annacsmom

gluten-free Diet Causing Bloated Feeling?

I am not a confirmed celiac, but two of my children are (so far). After looking back at my family history I have also decided to go gluten-free, also as a support to my children. I have done the diet for one month now, and I feel more bloated and constipated than I ever have before. Is this normal? I never really had a problem like this before going gluten-free. I have not lost any weight, although I feel as though I eat less food than before. Anyone else have this problem??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't have the problem of bloating, unless I eat something with gluten in by mistake.

There could be a chance that you are lactose intolerant, and if you were/are coeliac your villi could have been damanged and not able to digest lactose as well, and that could be causing the bloated feelings. From what I gather, if this is the problem and you give up lactose for a while, the damage may repair and you may be able to digest lactose again.

If you are at all concerned about yourself being coeliac would you consider being tested for it? If you have been on a gluten free diet for a while blood tests will not be conclusive, so you might have to consider being tested before too long, or else you may never be able to get a diagnosis for yourself.

Even though when I first went gluten free, I did not feel as hungry and ate less, I still did not loose weight. Maybe our bodies being gluten free are making the most of the food that we are eating, instead of it going straight through us.

Apart from the problem of bloatedness and constipation, have you have any improvements in your health that might tell you that gluten could've been a problem for you?

Good on you for trying gluten free in support of your children.

Cathy