Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kibbie

Looking For A Good Textured Bread

I posted this on the product msg board as well... but a recipe would work just as good!

My grandpa was just diagnosed with Celiac (a few months ago) I have been able to help him on a lot of stuff but bread is what is kiling him.

Unlike the rest of us we doesnt care what his bread tastes like (because he's old and his taster doesnt work so well... his words not mine) anyhow he is looking for a bread that has the same texture as before.

Anyone come across something that would work... even if the taste is off??

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use Kinnikinnick sandwich bread. A lot of big grocery stores in Canada are selling it now. Or you can buy it on line at the Kinnikinnick website. It's both good in taste and texture ....However ... you must heat any gluten free bread or buns before the texture is good. If I'm having a sandwich I put it in the micro for about 23 seconds, depending on how hot your micro is. If I'm having it with eggs etc. It toasts very nicely, but you have to have a gluten free toaster ... no other bread can go in that or his bread will be contaminated.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

Sure hope that helps solve your problem.

Kinnikinnick also sells excellent English muffins and donnuts among many other things. Again, to get the nice texture you have to heat most gluten free things or it falls apart.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

This is a great recipe frmo "The Gluten free Gourment Bakes Bread". It's texture is just like regular white bread and does not need heating to acheive a good result.

For a bread maker too.

3 C Featherlight Rice Flour mix

2 1/4 t of xanthan gum

1 1/2 t unflavored gelatin

1 1/2 t egg replacer

3/4 t salt

3T sugar

1/3 cup of dry milk powder

2 1/4 t dry yeast granules

1 eg plu 2 whites

4 1/2 T butter

3/4 t vinegar

3 t honey

1 1/2 cup warm water

Put it wet ingrediants in first, then dry. Set bread machine on medium and voila! Wonder bread. Good luck.

kinnikinnick and the recipe that winki4 gave are both very good textured as in similar to wheat bread. also pamales bread and bob's red mill bread mixes have very good textures