Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SofiEmiMom

Zurich, Switzerland

Hello! My husband was just told he needs to go on a business trip to Zurich at the end of January...he really wants me to go with him. I would love to go too...but worried about the gluten free options there. Any suggestions from anyone who has been there would be much appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello! My husband was just told he needs to go on a business trip to Zurich at the end of January...he really wants me to go with him. I would love to go too...but worried about the gluten free options there. Any suggestions from anyone who has been there would be much appreciated!

There are a few options in the main train station. On the ground floor is a Nordsee restaurant. This is a seafood chain with cafeteria-style service. Usually a couple of the menu items are free of glutenous ingredients, and the food is right there in front of you (behind glass) for you to inspect before ordering it.

In the underground section there is a large shopping area that includes a Movenpick restaurant. This is also cafeteria style, and has a wide array of offerings. Normally there is something there that would be suitable, though on a given day you could be limited to omelets and salads. They also have a fairly large (by Swiss standards) non-smoking seating area.

Also in the underground section there is a Reformhaus. This is a chain of health food and pharmaceuticals. The last time that I was there they had a variety of gluten-free bakery foods, as well as the usual boxes of gluten-free pasta and breakfast cereals.

'Sorry I don't have information about fine dining, but my wife and I usually eat casually while we're travelling. Keep in mind if you visit a Lindt store that many of their chocolates (including most of the truffles except for mint and white chocolate) have barley malt as an ingredient.

The standard greeting in German-speaking Switzerland is gruezzi (it almost rhymes with footsie), rather than guten tag. Thank you is merci (borrowed from French), rather than danke.

Happy travels--

Ken