Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kbabe1968

Need: Tried & True Gluten Free Pancake Recipe

Saturday mornings are pancake day. Needing a good gluten free pancake recipe that they won't be able to tell is NOT regular pancakes. Hubby and I have serious suspicions I have celiac - so I'm going gluten free for a few months to see if I start feeling better. (long story, already posted, don't want to bore anyone!). Truth is, if I AM, then it's a good bet my kids could be too, right? might as well make them gluten free too, so as not to double my work, right?

Okay, back to topic....

Anyone got a good one?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Here's the one I use...

1 c brown rice flour or (1/2 c rice flour plus 1/2 c corn flour)

1 egg

1 c vanilla almond milk (I use Almond Breeze)

1 tbsp oil

1 tsp turbinado sugar

2 tsp baking powder

Mix well and put on hot griddle...

I make little cakes and use them as a sandwhich with almond butter and cranberry sauce or drizzle them with blackstrap molasses or a berry juice concentrate like cranberry or cherry.

Enjoy!

akceliac

Gluten-free Casein-free since 1996

"For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee." Isa 41:13

I use The Gluten Free Pantry Pancake Mix--it's very good.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

there are seven of us kids living at home (plus mom and dad) and only a few of us are gluten-free. we make this pancake recipe all the time and no one suspects a thing and that is good with a bunch of little kids.

Favorite pancakes

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk

2 tbl spoons veg.oil or melted butter

1 cup featherlight flour blend (or 1/3c. rice flr, 1/3c tapioca flr, 1/3c. cornstarch, 1 tsp potato FLOUR

1 tbl spoon sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp soda

1/4-1/2 tsp xanthum gum

Blend together and pour on griddle.

we double or triple the batch everytime so it works fine that way, and we also keep a big bucket full of feather light mix which you can double as many times as you want but it goes, 1 cup rice flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, 1 cup cornstarch, and 1 tbl spoon potato flour not starch.

Thanks all!

Our local health food store had a brown rice baking mix, it wasn't Gluten Free Pantry - but it is gluten free. Fearn? Something like that. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see how it goes. They've had brown rice pasta before and not complained. We've always been a "whole wheat" house, so they are used to things being brown! :D

I'll let ya know how it turns out!

:D

Hi,

I tried a lot of pancake recipies before we found one we liked here. My 3 year old is diagnosted my 18 month old is suspected and I feel better when gluten free. We LOVE pancakes in this house. Especially on those nights you just don't feel like cooking. We love this recipe. My husband says he can't tell they are gluten free! I came up with it myself after finding out my daughter was also allergic to eggs. So I'll sub some ingredients for you. Hope you enjoy!

Amy

1cup pancake mix (mixture below)

2 tsp baking powder

2 tbsp sugar

I make pumpkin pancakes and they are fabulous. Sometimes I add much more brown sugar so we don't need syrup. This is great for breakfast on the go. If you leave the sugar as is, serve with warm maple or cinnamon syrup. Yum! These are the best pancakes I've ever eaten, gluten free or not.

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups flour mix (3 parts white rice, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch)

* 3 tablespoons brown sugar

* 2 teaspoons baking powder

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1 teaspoon ground allspice

* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1 1/2 cups milk

* 1 cup pumpkin puree

* 1 egg

* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

* 2 tablespoons rice vinegar

DIRECTIONS

1. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.

2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I've tried both the pancake and waffle recipies from the Gluten Intolerance Groups of Utah website, they are both fabulous. My gluten-eating, pancake-obsessed hubby declared he wouldn't be able to tell they were gluten free. I'll definitely be trying other things from their recipe website. Here's the address:

http://www.gfutah.org/recipes.htm

~Li

Celiac, dx Sep 2006

Angie, those look UNBELIEVABLY GOOD!!!!!!

They're fabulous. They're especially good if you add lots of extra brown sugar and take them on the road. They stay nice and moist so long as they're room temperature or warmer. If they get cold, they have to be heated to soften back up.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

We use Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix for waffles and pancakes. Simply fabulous!

My mom was dx'd Celiac in her 80's after a life time of stomach troubles. I am fine however.

2nd daughter born in 2000

An agitated kid since birth, non-compliant attitude, dx'd with PDDNOS in 2003, ADHD in 2006

Had ongoing facial rash since 2004 -- tested for Lupus -- negative, discovered a high antibody count.

Never complained of stomach ache

I agree. the pamela's is excellent.

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006

Villus blunting and positive blood test

I get the stuff in the box from the store i think it's elpeto (sorry for the spelling) and i use the kingsmill egg replacer and silk milk as i am vegan too

Kareena

Gluten Free Pantry Quick Mix substitued in the Bisquick recipe:

2 c mix

1 c milk

2 eggs

Really, really can't tell the difference.

I use the recipe from the incredible edible gluten free for kids book - waffle recipe. I've never made them into pancakes but I have served them to cousins and other unsuspecting family members who didn't know the difference.

I also use their recipe for deep fried chicken nuggets (to make chicken balls) and corn dogs (better than the real thing).

I've used about all the mixes there are and my favorite is 'Made by Mona' pancake mix. I make myself a batch and then freeze them in separate baggies and then reheat them in the microwave each morning and they still taste great. The other mixes I've tried are good for the first day but they don't reheat very well.

I have served these pancakes to my family and friends and they can't tell the difference.

Debbie