Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

Low Sugar Appetizers/treats

We're all sugared out around here, well, maybe not my 9 and 11 year old boys, but the rest of us are. As I'm thinking about New Year's Eve, I'm wondering what kind of appetizers or treats I could make that would be yummy and not sweet. I've thought of a smoked salmon ball, "Chex" mix, vegetable tray and pecan and date rolls. Does anyone have any other good ideas?

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I made the little coctail weenies wrapped in biscuit dough, the youngsters at the party enjoyed them, another popular item were the dates stuffed with monteray jack cheese wrapped in bacon. They all were pretty good. have fun. ;)

Brenda Diagnosed Celiac 2005 Woodville, Massachusetts

what about wings or chicken satay? (wings, however, will be easier)

homemade (or storebought... we make our own) corn tortillas and a variety of things for dipping...

stuffed mushrooms?

what about fondue?

shrimp cocktail?

Gluten-free, Vegan

Hummus cups are good. Simply cut cucumbers into thick slices, then hollow almost all the way out to make a cup using a melon baller. Fill with hummus.

BLTs are good too. I don't have the exact recipe for this. I've seen it many places but I just do it to taste. Get some cherry tomatoes. Wash them and cut off the tops then using a tiny spoon or melon baller, scoop out the middles leaving a shell. Place them upside down on paper towels to drain. Meanwhile make the filling using some cooked chopped bacon, finely cut green onion, a bit of finely cut crisp lettuce if you like and some mayo. You can also add chopped parsley and a bit of parmesan cheese if you like. Stuff the filling into the tomatoes and to serve place on a bed of parsley so they won't roll around. Try to make these within two hours of serving or the bacon will get soggy. If need be, you can do the tomatoes ahead of time and chill. Then do all the cooking and chopping of the filling, keeping the ingredients separate until ready to serve.

Popcorn is another hit in our house. Always gets eaten.

I usually prefer the crunchy treats, and the crunchiest one I know is Corn Nuts (also called Toasted Corn). Other things like biscuits and muffins are nice too.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Guest cassidy

I love spinach dip, crab dip or baked brie. The baked brie is easy (you can even microwave it) and looks impressive - I serve it with crackers or toast rounds, apples, and grapes so it is colorful. If you can find Glutino Rusks, they are perfect for spreading a dip on - nice and crunchy.

Chips & salsa is easy, fruit plate is also good and healthy. I'm doing meatballs, little hot dogs and wings for my husband's birthday party - not my type of food but it is his party so I'm making stuff he likes.

Bread sticks, pretzels, celery/carrot sticks, or basically anything that can be dipped, topped, or spread with butters (including nut butters), cheeses, jams, sauces, etc. Apples w/peanut butter for example. Baked apples/pears. Cottage cheese with applesauce or fruits. Crackers or flat-breads topped with nearly anything that fits.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

The chex-mix sounds good....I haven't made that gluten free yet. I'll be making that and I always add red pepper to the spice mix.

Popcorn with parmesan cheese is quick and easy.

Refried black beans with chips.

Quesidillas cut in wedges. Served with guac.

Potato wedges baked with olive oil, grated lemon rind, fresh rosemarry, salt and served with sour cream.

Toast gluten free bread cut in fours and rub with fresh garlic and serve with a mixture of diced tomato, garlic and black olives in a dressing made with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I've always love salty savory over sweet.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

I am going to try to make my b/f mothers meatballs. They are plain ground beef, with some onion power and garlic powder in a sauce of tomato sauce (in a can) and cranberry sauce (the whole berry kind) I love them! They are different, sweet and tangy!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

I am going to try to make my b/f mothers meatballs. They are plain ground beef, with some onion power and garlic powder in a sauce of tomato sauce (in a can) and cranberry sauce (the whole berry kind) I love them! They are different, sweet and tangy!

This sounds like my cranberry meatball recipe. For a really unique and yummy taste try using a 12 oz jar of salsa (mild) instead of the tomato sauce. (And I use ground turkey.) I took these to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at the request of both families (mine and in-laws). They always get eaten right up!

Thanks to everyone else for your suggestions. Lots of good looking ideas. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to make besides the Chex mix, but I'd better decide fast!

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13